1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Deluxe Jaxx Bass V Active

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CH Design, Aug 15, 2007.

1. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Does anyone out there have any experience with a Squier Deluxe Jazz Bass V Active? They seem like a good choice for an inexpensive 5-string. Does anyone know how they sound or play?

2. CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Thanks lostrings. Do you know of anyone who has gone and started to mod one of these? I was thinking about routing one out for some EMG40's and maybe even pulling the frets.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I own one in White. While it's a nice bass for the money, the pups and pre are seriously lacking. Very thin sounding. This bass could use way more thump. I have plans to upgrade but have to wait due to current lack of fundage!

4. CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    DWBass,
    Do you think it's worth upgrading, or would the money have been better spent on getting a slightly more expensive bass? I want to get one, but I want to be sure it's a good solid platform that is worth upgrading.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I do think it's worth upgrading. In hindsight, I probably should have saved for a better instrument but for the price, it's not a bad starting ground instrument.

It is. It's built very solidly! I just feel they didn't put much effort into putting in a decent pre-amp. I would have paid $100 more if the pre-amp was of pro quality. It could be just the pups but I plan to upgrade both.

6. shannons

shannons

May 29, 2007
    W. Seattle, WA
    Endorsing artist: Ampeg
    If you're not into the active electronics, just pick up the standard Jazz V they offer. I have one & it's an awesome player. Although I'm in the midst of using it as an upgrading project, the only thing that's actually necessary is slapping in some new pots & input jack. This gets rid of any hum. I've done this and it's replaces my Spectors as the main player. At $200, it's an AWESOME buy.
    http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0301575506