1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Deluxe Jazz V Active owners ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CH Design, Feb 22, 2008.

1. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    I just thought I would share the mods that I have done on my bass. I think they turned out rather well.

The first was to add a Leo Quan Badass V bridge. I wasn't sure how easy it was going to be to get it on since the Leo Quan site doesn't list any dimensions. As it turns out, it's a rather easy swap. The four screws holding the back of the stock bridge line up with the four center holes on the Badass. The Badass is big enough that it covers the two other holes in the body that are used on the stock bridge. All you have to do is add the two holes for the screws beside the B and G strings and you are done. I didn't notice as much of a change as compared to the swap I did on my Vintage Modified 4-string. This probably has something to do with the stock bridge on the 5-string being much heavier and bulkier than the stock bridge on the 4-string in comparison to the Badasses. Definitely an improvement in tone though, even with the stock strings!

The next mod was to add a metal control plate, like the ones that come on most every other Jazz bass. This one wasn't quite as easy. My bass had the concentric treble/bass control in the third position. The hole in the control plate isn't quite big enough to get the shaft through. All I had to do was drill it out a little. Had I been thinking, I probably could have moved it to the back where the output jack is usually located. That hole is a little bigger in the control plate. If you remove all of the washers and nuts from the underside of the stock controls (i.e. inside the control cavity), you gain enough extra length on the pots shafts that they will stick through the body AND the control plate enough to get the washers and nuts on. The only hard part is the switch. If you simply drilled a hole in the control plate exactly where the stock switch sits, it would be VERY close to the edge. I didn't think it would look very good. I just moved the stock switch in a little and drilled a new hole for it. It's only a small mod, and is purely cosmetic, but I think it makes the bass look a little better. What do you think?

Next up is going to be a pickguard. This one is going to get tricky. The white pearoid pickguard on 4-string is just kind of sitting there (the stock black one is under it). I am going to use it to try and make a template for a custom pickguard. While it helps that the jazz pickups are the same size on the 5-string as a 4-string, it doesn't help that Squier decided to move the bridge pickup closer to the nut on this model. I'll post some more pics with the pickguard later.

Attached Files:

2. CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    For those who don't know ... here is a before pic from the Squier website.

Attached Files:

3. cool...

I would not have wasted my time, personally, on the bridge...but for the burst deluxe V, the metal control plate looks cool...only, I would have done this in CONJUNCTION with the new pickguard, just to make sure everything fits (one less thing to line-up)...

I'm getting a Deluxe V this year...going for a white I think (wife wants me to get the black)...those two would be better without the gingerbread, but the burst looks great with what you're doing...

what guard you looking at? black, white, or tort?...I think black would look sweet.

4. LzeroKI

LzeroKI

Dec 24, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    I also am in the process of making a custom pickguard for my DJAV. I started by tracing the pickgaurd from my SX jazz V onto the bottom of a pizza box, and going from there, the neck pocket on the cardboard had to be opened up a little and aparently the cutouts on my squier are deeper than the SX, so it looks a litte goofey sitting next to a typical jazz.

5. CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    The Badass definitely did help improve the tone. The difference just wasn't as much as I had noticed on my 4-string. I picked up the bridge for $75. IMO a better bridge is one of the easiest, and least expensive ways to help improve the tone of a bass, especially on an inexpensive bass. The added mass also helps balance a little better.

As for the pickguard, I was originally thinking white. After seeing the white pearloid on it, I’m kind of leaning towards that, if I can get or make a custom one that doesn't cost a fortune.

Attached Files:

6. CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    You might want to try starting with a real Jazz bass pickguard. Have a look at the one I am using. Everything lines up really well except for the neck pocket and pickup cut out.

7. Looking good!! I had fun modding mine. I'm looking at pickups/preamps now :rollno:

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nice job. I plan to do some mods at some point but more so in the pre-amp, pickups and tuners department. I think the stock bridge is fine. I already put new strings on it and that really livened it up.

9. CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    I've already considered those ... my funds just haven't caught up with my imagination.

The problem that I see is that the stock pickups are the size of 4-string pickups. I think you will have a hard time trying to find a high quality replacement that drops in. I have been considering a Nordstrand Jazz for the neck. I would have to do a little routing to make it fit. The pickguard will hide the little spots where the "ears" are on the stock pickups are (i.e. the "ears" on 4 and 5-string Jazz pickups aren’t' in the same spot unfortunately). The bridge pickup is a little more complicated in that there isn't a pickguard to hide this fit problem. I have actually been considering a Nordstrand MM pickup. The footprint for it is big enough that you wouldn't have any gap issues. I've always liked the sound of Music Man basses, but I don't like the way they play. This might end up being a nice compromise. I'm not sure what to do about the preamp. I just stuck a BeePre in my Ibanez GB35 and it made a big difference in the sound. I'm still running the stock pickup though. I should be getting a custom Nordstrand Dual Coil in a few weeks. If that combination has a tone close to what I am looking for, I might get another BeePre for this bass.

10. after seeing the perloid PG :meh:, I think you should go with black :cool:

11. CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    I'm not sure black works for me ...

Attached Files:

12. hmmm...now that I see black...you may be right about the perloid...

it's pretty darn hard to decide, huh?

thanks for showing that to me...

got any tort guards to show?

13. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Pearl is nicer IMO.

14. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    One word: Tortoise

15. i think the black guard looks pretty good with the black outline of body and ebony neck. Just looks good together. But I love sunburst/tortoise...

Steve

16. CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Sorry, I don't have a tort around to model :rollno:

17. blowabs

blowabs

Apr 7, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Funny.this is my next bass.....(in white)
    ...... I too have the Sq VM J and when i changed the bridge to a Gotoh 201 -- it came alive and since i put DR HiBeams on last night i am a slapping machine now!!! :)

18. I just bought mine Friday and love it.I've owned 2 Stingrays,a Roscoe,and a Modulus and I really think the price and features are a steal!

19. I posted mine on the other squire deluxe active thread. Here are my mods. All black hardeware. Bad Ass V bridge, Seymour Duncan SJB-5 pickups, Aguilar OBP-3 pre-amp and Aurora Coated Black strings std gauge. I love his bass even more so now with the upgraded electronics!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. I dont think they are making the white any longer. I want one as well but have not been able to find, even used.