1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier fake on craigslist.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A-Step-Towards, Aug 3, 2012.

1. I flagged it as prohibited. You would be surprised how many times I've seen this on CL, in that area.

2. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    Wow, well it's definitely not a Highway One. Do you think the seller is trying to rip someone off, or are they just unaware of the situation?

Edit: I just read the post above me and it does seem that the seller is fully aware and is trying to pull one over on somebody.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    They figure someone will see it, not know better, think it's a steal, and go buy it. And you know what, they'd probably be right.

4. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    JPATA!!! That would not surprise me but it's pretty crazy...

5. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK
    Don't all MIA have the truss rod adjustment from the body end and not the headstock end?

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That's why I don't buy anything from craigslist. No seller reviews. No feedback. I just sold a little mini bass I had here in the classifieds. I've never sold here before so I had no feedback, but a smart consumer could look at my activity. See I'm a real person who's posted and asked and answered questions. It's at least some information on the buyer.

7. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    But that looks like a Squier CII standard Jazz bass with a Fender MIM standard Jazz neck.

Infact the body looks like a mentioned antique burst, it's gotta be agathis instead of alder and the trussrod is where it's meant to be on a CII Squier or a MIM Fender, where the neckheelchrome plate come from.

No stampings on it (whereas Squier would be otherwise) and the starting point of the machinehead make me think they're HB7 style, so MIM as the serial number, that starts with an undisputed "Z"

Being very nice (us) and the bass perfectly set up, no more than $. 300.00 to me.

Cheers,
    Wallace

8. EAME

EAME

Feb 21, 2012
    hi A Step
    what makes you say its afake?
    is it the serial number and what should one be aware of,in an example of this kind..?

9. ilikebass7

ilikebass7

Sep 7, 2008
    Endorsing Artist: Marco Bass Guitars
    So I bought this bass 3 weeks ago and must have bought it wrong. :( I bought it as a Mia fender hwy 1 jazz and the serial seemed to date it as an 04 American jazz so I thought it was a hwy 1. The seller said it was an aftermarket pickguard. It sure does not sound like any squier or mim I have played. It also came with the black jazz bass chicken head knobs. Is there any other way to tell. If your correct I got screwed and need to pull it down. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

10. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    I own the same Squier and that is the Squier Neck for sure.

11. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
  12. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Here's a MIM from the sellers other photobucket photos. (Notice the string tree) (Serial Number)
    Not sure why he has his account linked to a fake bass maybe he doesn't know, but with all the basses he has I find it hard to believe. However if you look on the last page of pics you can tell he's involved in church, So who knows.

He may just really not have a clue. Has anyone sent him a message?
    C'mon TB he should have had his mailbox filled up by now with degrading hate mail and so on lol.

As many basses as he has I find it hard to believe he's also not a member here.

2a8e6e96.

And the Fake

a0701d13.

13. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    And I believe this is where he got the idea for the decal but forgot to add the Made in USA lol
    Funny it's almost exactly the same.
    0b346bd8.

14. ilikebass7

ilikebass7

Sep 7, 2008
    I am the seller and I seriously bought it this way 3 weeks ago. :( can I take more pictures and post to try and have you guys date what It actually is? What pics should I take. Man this blows

15. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Sorry just saw this, :bag:

16. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    It's a Squier Standard.

No pics needed. Date is impossible as the info needed has been removed from the back of the headstock.

17. ilikebass7

ilikebass7

Sep 7, 2008
    Z4 is a 2004 Mia serial though correct? And isn't it odd that it came with classic jazz knobs and originally a white pickguard?

18. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    You can still for very little money get this bass back to good honest standings, if you genuinely didn't know.

These necks go pretty cheap on Ebay. All you'd need is a replacement neck.
    Keep this neck for a future project or sell it with appropriate description.

Just Ideas, I kinda started leaning towards honest mistake once I saw your pics of the church flyer and your sweet anniversary message to your girl which was touching I must say. :)

19. EAME

EAME

Feb 21, 2012
    Yea,thanks for those shots' 1 shot..but as you say,he must know?!
    Why risk his rep ?(Assuming he has one!)Seems clumsy..!
    Its cool we've all got knowledge to turn to in TB..
    NICE ONE guys!