Squier Fender Precision Five modification

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmangreg, Sep 8, 2002.

1. If you had the opportunity to get yourself a Pbass Squier, what modifications would you probably do? Well besides busting it up for firewood. Are there any good pickup replacement parts and rewiring suggestions? Would you change everything including the name on the thing? Here's one on ebay that is modified.

I have found them to be very interesting basses.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's cheaping to just get a nicer bass. You figure 200 for the bass, 300 for mods, that's 500, that's an MTD Kingston, and for a little more (100, 150) you get into a Lakland Skyline.

Not worth it, IMHO, because it'll still PLAY like a Squier.
  3. But I already got a black 5501 Lakland I paid $600.00 for. I didn't have a Squier. And now I do and I'm fixing it up. I originally bought the bass to leave at work in the closet for lunch time practice since I get an hour and just since I had a three hundred dollar store credit I decided to use it on the Squier. Look at my profile and see most of my basses. I have a RB5, Zon 5, Lakland 5, American Jazz 5, Spector 5, a G&L L2500 and hey I don't mind a Squier in the lot. Also...I ain't that cheap.

Click on the little red house just above and scroll down to see my basses.
  4. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    put some hot pickups in, and a badass or similar bridge. shouldnt be too costly.
    p.s Nice collection of basses!! why didn't you keep any 4 strings?
  5. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i would add a Basslines pup.
    and shield the cavity.
    and then if i really liked the bass then, i <i>might</i> get a Moses graphite neck or maybe a maple one from warmoth. i probably wouldn't spend much more time than that (for me the time is always a bigger issue than money)

yes, tons and tons.
    do a search~
  6. The reason I did not keep any four string basses was because my theory was to have all of the basses with all the same amount of strings. I even traded an original 1969 sunburst pbass (a prize bass) and a like new 1996 pbass for the Zon at Bob's Bass Palace. So it did not make good sense which is a little bazaar but I was on a mission. ( I bet Bob grinned all the way to the bank.)

I wonder if I need to shield the cavity with the use of passive pickups sense I'm not using any batteries.
  7. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    intersting point... i'm sure one of the EE types here would know for sure,
    but i thought that all electronics were susceptible to RF interference? obviously, you won't have the directional hum of a single coil jazz pickup but still... i used to get intermitten buzzing from my peavey cirrus at my previous home (never elsewhere though). dirty power lines, i think...