1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by G19Tony, Jun 13, 2018.

1. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    I posted in Show us your bass, but I thought I'd get the answer here. I’m fretless curious, so I picked up a Squier Fretless P bass. The fretboard is smooth. Being a newbie, I like that the lines are still there. I like how it plays. You get a little more leeway with getting a good note, because you didn’t land in the wrong spot. I’m going to do the mods I like. Babicz bridge and La Bella Flats, and set it up. I have two sets of flats coming. One is the normal tension and the other is the La Bella 1954 Flatwounds. I’m a little scared to put them on. Everything I’ve read, says they are very high tension and harder to play. But I think the sound would be cool.

I’m hoping the experienced cats will chime in and put my fear to rest, or tell me to run away, like in Monty Python!

IMG_1072.

2. Just picked up one of these also. Pretty happy with the tone of it, but will put half rounds on it eventually.

I have actually ordered a Wilde P-46 that might end up in this bass, but no plans at this point to change the bridge.

soulman969 likes this.
  3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I guess it's once again time for my Squier psa;
    the VM series and probably other Squiers have skinny / crap cast neck plate screws which I'd suggest swapping out for real steel at such a critical spot, especially when going high tension with flats. be gentle when removing the screws cos they can shear with little torque.
    that's a nice looking fretless Std. P!

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  4. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks for the compliment on the bass. It is attractive. That's good to know about the screws. I will most likely replace them on GP's.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Bass V likes this.
  5. Haven’t seen or played one of these but great looking bass. A dear friend who collects Squiers has one on his short list.

Just wanted to say I have a Parts Fretless p/j with Wilde P-46 and J-45 pickups and they sound great with sadly unavailable GHS Tapewounds on an unlined maple Warmoth neck.

I have a Babitz bridge on an ESP, solid choice but nothing wrong with a standard Fender style either. Either La Bella choice should sound great . Always wanted to try the 1954 set as well, but haven’t.

6. Cardiff Giant

Cardiff Giant

Jan 30, 2018
    Chicago
    I just put together a fretless bass from Warmth parts. A good place to look into if you ever find yourself unsatisfied with the very limited options in the fretless market from major manufacturers. fullsizeoutput_36f.

Ggeorges and G19Tony like this.
  7. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    I think it would be fun to assemble a short scale fretless. I’ve looked at the Warmoth website. :woot:

8. While you are trying different strings, tapes might be something to check out.
    Don't think that high tension flats will be too hard to play.
    The higher tension lets them be closer to the FB without hitting it,
    so you can end up with really low action.
    The extra tension won't be too much work if you don't have to move the strings very far.

soulman969 and G19Tony like this.

9. You'll love that FCH Bridge and the LaBella Flats.

I play the typical 45-105 "Deep Talkin' Flats". I don't find them at all hard to play and I play with a light touch. The '54s are probably gonna be stiffer due to the higher gauge but these strings "speak" like an old school flat should and sound great played with a pick or finger-style.

Installing the FCH Bridge and doing the setup takes a few minutes to learn but man is it a Godsend. More punch and sustain and that cam system allows me to set an action better and lower than I've ever been able to do with any stock bridge style Fender bridge. Pricey, but well worth it.

G19Tony and Bass V like this.

10. Superb pickup. Best PBass pickup I've ever played.

Bass V likes this.
  11. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    I’ve put the FCH Bridge on 2 other bass guitars. It’s an easy process and I like the adjustability. The 1954’s arrive tomorrow. It might be my weekend project. I like setting up my own instruments. Satisfies the urge to tinker. ;)

soulman969 likes this.
  12. Ah, been there.....done that eh? :D

Aren't they great especially doing our own setups? Easiest bridge to setup I've ever used and tweaks are a breeze.

I have one on my Jazz Bass and two of my Teles as well. I love 'em especially when doing a string change on a Tele. Nothing to do but string it up. Everything else is set and locked into place.

13. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    For the life of me, I can’t understand why Fender (or Squier) doesn’t produce a fretless 5 (Jazz or P). I’ve been wanting one for years, and I happened to build one recently out of Squier parts.

12034E73-F96B-4A5E-B28F-991E94369678.

The neck is from a 2014 Affinity Jazz V. I bought the complete bass used for $120, and the frets in the original neck got so bad in only a couple years, I bought a VMJV neck with binding and blocks to replace it. I removed the frets just to see if I can pull off a successful defret job. I figured, if it comes out half-way decent, great! if I screw it up, who cares? I already have another neck on the bass anyway.
    The defret came out fantastic!!!. I used 2-part wood epoxy to fill the fret grooves and a little bit of light sanding, I can’t even feel the lines.
    So now I had this great fretless neck laying around without a body....I started swapping between fretted and fretless necks on the black Affinity (and painted the headstock black to match), but the process gets old after a few times...
    Then comes the 2016 Affinity Sunburst body. Installed a pair of Fender Marcus Miller pickups and I now have the best playing (and sounding) Fretless 5 I ever owned (and I have owned a few).
    I only use Rounds, EB Slinky 5’s, on all my basses, fretted and fretless alike. With this fretless, I really dig in pretty hard at times, and the rosewood fingerboard is holding up quite well. I oil it with Lemon oil every few months.
    With flats, I feel that there is too much friction between the strings and my fingers, they slow me down.

G19Tony and Bass V like this.
  14. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thank you for the hint on the tapes. I ordered some tape wound La Bellas. I'm going to try them on an SX bass, that is on the way.

15. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    I did the thing, and replaced the bridge and the strings with the 1954 La Bella Flats. I was able to get the action at a comfortable level, You can definitely feel the higher tension. I made sure I had safety glasses on when I was winding them on. :eek: The bridge install went very easy. I love these Babicz bridges. The setup and intonations settings were a breeze. I took Bass V's advice and went to GC and got some Fender SS neck screws. They bit in a couple threads more than the Squire screws. That made me feel a little better. If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. ;) The playability is no different than my basses with normal tension on them. They sound good through my Roland Bass RX modeling amp. I'd bet they would sound better on a serious amp.

IMG_1078. IMG_1077.