1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Carlo Tanori, Nov 28, 2006.

1. BargeOn

BargeOn

Mar 19, 2004
    CNY
    I've been anxious to try them and finally had a chance to play one in a shop and was pretty disappointed.

For that price maybe I shouldn't complain but everything about the guitar screamed cheap and warned that the instruent would not hold up. Construction, composite fingerboard, electronics nothing really felt right. Tone was thin. The setup wasn't half bad. It had mwah in spades, too much, if you can imagine, though there are ways to control that.
    Nothing particularly bad, just left me totally flat. It might be a cheap experiment in fretless but you'd be much better off spending a few more bux and getting a better bass.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I played the fretted Modified jazz in a shop a few weeks ago. I was blown away by what I was playing, especially considering the price! The bass was very good. I was quickly laying down a deposit for the fretless model. It still hasn't come yet, but the amont of positive feedback I've heard about them has me itching!

3. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I am surprised, Bass Player actually gave them a pretty good review, from their website,

"Each of these basses is a stellar bargain. They nail the vibes and sounds of their respective models, and they do so with superior construction. You’d be hard-pressed to find a better interpretation of these classic Fenders in this price range. Still, if there’s standout in the group, it’s the fretless. And, the best part is that you don’t need to be the World’s Greatest Bass Player to make it work for you."

Here is the review: Bass Player Review

Ray Matthews likes this.
  4. BargeOn

BargeOn

Mar 19, 2004
    CNY
    Yeah, which is why I was surprised.
    Guess ya just gotta try for yourself.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  6. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    Only thing in question would really be the QC of their production line. But I think i'll take my chances ordering one of the fretlesses sometime soon :)

7. LookIt'sSteve17

LookIt'sSteve17

Oct 31, 2006
    Michigan
    I was pumped when we got these in at work as I was looking to take up fretless and this was right up my el cheapo alley. Well, the set-up was crap so the poor bass was mwah-less... easy fix I know. The real issues were the tone's blandness and, moreover, the ebonol fingerboards oh-so crappy feel.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
  9. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    I played the Fretless one, best starter/cheap fretless I ever played. For $325 you can't beat that one.

Is the Ebonol supposed to be more durable than ebony/rosewood though? They ship the bass with roundwounds and on the various ones I've played in stores, the strings seem to be leaving marks in the fingerboard already.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Ebony is tougher than rosewood and ebonol. It's also a lot more expensive. Ebonol is tough stuff, and it sounds great, but it will mark like anything else. Even if you play flats on an ebony board you'll leave marks. You've just got to accept that they're part of playing fretless and learn to groove with it!

11. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    I guess this will be a bit of a review. I bought one a couple of weeks back. It felt right and cozy when I picked it up. Sounded good even with the stock roundwound strings. Neck pocket was one of the things that impressed me the most. Tight. Could just barely get a dollar bill into it and then it would stop after a couple of milimeters in, both sides. Body looks like two pieces and they are not well matched in terms of grain. One half is quite pretty under the sunburst finish and the other very plain. I guess that is why agathis gets the finishes that cover it up but I quite like the figuring on the side that has it. Tuners are o.k. A bit loose. The bridge is standard folded style and utilitarian but o.k. too. Input jack is tight and I have found the electronics very quiet. Only a small hum when my adjustable halogen lamp is on. Nice variety of tones that come on strong when individual volme tones are dialed towards ten. The only thing that really bothers me is that the neck feels roughly finished towards the headstock. Also, the nut is poorly cut and a little on the high side IMO.No gig bag. I took it home for the going price. Good value but I think dropping the price to $249.00 would be a bit more realistic. I am very satisfied overall and it was a good and affordable way to start to dable with a fretless. Added a few personal touches when I got home in the way of a BaddassII(I love those things!) and a tortoise shell pickguard(don't like a jazz bass without a pickguard but I am strange that way) and some TI Jazz Flats. Can't imagine a better deal for a player that only flirts with fretless. It really feels fantastic now and the ebonol fretboard seems like a classy feature to me on such a "budget" bass. 7.5 out of 10 stock and a strong 8.5 or even 9 out of 10 with extra goodies added later. This was long winded but I hope it helps those thinking of buying one. I say go for it if you can play it first. If not, it is always a crap shoot but I wouldn't let that discourage you if there is a good return policy.