1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier HM 1980's Series Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arkheology, May 4, 2010.

1. arkheology

arkheology

May 4, 2010
    I am new here and have read some older posts about the Fender / Squier HM (Heavy Metal) Series Basses. I recently found this 5 string version and was wondering if there was any further information out there.

Attached Files:

• bass.
      bass.jpg
      File size:
      58.6 KB
      Views:
  2. hmbass

hmbass

Aug 16, 2009
    Not much that I've found. If you google "Squier HM Bass" you will see a few threads from several years ago.
    They were assembled in Korea, apparently with parts supplied by Fender Japan. Not many were made during the three year run. Today they are pretty rare from what I have read.
    I have two. An '89 four string, and an '89 five string, both the same color blue as yours.
    I think they're nice basses, and real sleepers at this point. Speaking of points, the pointed neck is one thing I could do without. But the build quality, sound, sustain, etc. more than make up for it. I'm surprised that they're still selling at the prices that they're going for.
    Who knows, someday they might actually be collectible, or maybe they already are, we just don't know it.

3. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
  4. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
  5. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun

Feb 5, 2011
    Just got offered a trade with my brand new Epi EB-0 for a Squier HM 1980. Don't know it's condition. What do you think?

6. bassacer11

bassacer11

Oct 18, 2011
    Il Buy the neck of the Hm 5 bass if your willing to sell it

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I have the same bass in metallic red. Very nice bass. I am trying to sell it. Just don't use it.

I don't get why some don't like the headstock shape, it's a simple design, just a bit o flash. I've seen worse.