1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier II P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scrodzilla, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Just curious...does anyone have an old Squier II P-bass (the ones with no pickguard & rear-loaded controls)? I've always wanted one due to their incredibly simple aesthetics and I have an opportunity to pick up a "perfectly" beat up (vintage!) black/maple one already modded with a Badass II pretty inexpensively through an online purchase. If anyone out there has one of these cool, bare-bones caveman instruments, I'd like to hear some things about it in comparison to a typical Fender P-bass (which I already own two of).

Thanks in advance!

2. Left Left Goose

Left Left Goose Banned

Aug 19, 2008
    theres one on music go round for like $175

3. Thanks Lefty, but I've already located one (that isn't red). I'm looking for input from someone who has one!

4. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    I owned one,Just sold it about a week ago. Weight was good and with a good setup and good strings these basses really sing. I was playing a local club with an oldies bad and the club next door was 3 metal bands. Some of the metal guys came over and caught one of our sets. When I went on break I wandered over to the metal club and one of the guys out front complimented me on how good that Fender P bass sounded. I told him it was a MIK Squier, he couldn't believe it, he came back by after his set and I let him play it. He acted like he was blown away, my EBMM Stingray sat in the stand all night.
    I would have kept it but with over 30 basses I have to move some things out.

5. Thanks, Bone! I've always loved how damn simple the Squier IIs are. No frills, man. From what I remember, the body isn't even contoured at all, right? Just a big slab with a pickup, neck and strings. I think I'm gonna go for it. It'll most likely be the best 125 bucks I'll ever spend. Yeah...125 bucks! It'll be pretty amazing if it ends up bumping my two Fenders into "backup" status.

6. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Yup

[/QUOTE]I think I'm gonna go for it. It'll most likely be the best 125 bucks I'll ever spend. Yeah...125 bucks! It'll be pretty amazing if it ends up bumping my two Fenders into "backup" status.[/QUOTE]

Yup again.

7. jbo

jbo

May 2, 2007
    Wichita, KS
  8. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
  9. Hell yeah...that's a killer deal! The one I can buy comes with a hard SKB case too.
    Am I sensing a "Squier II Fan Club"? :D

10. start a Squier II Fan Club, please!

i have the black P-Bass, slab, no pickguard. i bought it almost on impulse, along with my Kustom bass rig (all together around $350). i pretty much figured on replacing everything. but it's just fine stock. i'm gonna leave it that way, and just let it get a lot of heavy use.

i see myself collecting a bunch of these Squier II Ps, SX's and vintage Ibanez Roadstars. an arsenal of inexpensive and unassuming, but brutal bass artillery :)