Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier II series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, Jul 15, 2002.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Does anyone have any info on the Squier II series basses. I know they were made in Korea and have a maple neck and fingerboard. They look a lot the MIMs. What was the body made of and during what time period were they made? Thanks for any info on these basses.

Dirk

2. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Anyone. Please any and I mean ANY info would be appreciated. Even if you just played it for 5 minutes at the music store, tell me what you think about it.

Thanks,
    Dirk

3. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    There is a Squier II series?

4. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    There is one and I'm the winner of an Ebay Auction for one. I'm not really sure on the details of the bass, but it was what I was looking for. A cheap, black P with a maple board. This is going to be my project bass. I'm eventually going to add a MM pickup in the bridge position and do some other upgrades. New basses are so awesome. This will make my third. Still any other info about this particular series of basses would be great. The seller on Ebay said the serial number began with EE.

Dirk

5. There's a Squier forum over at the Fender Discussion Page, maybe some of its visitors can help you. I'm afraid I can't.

6. Back in the 80's, Fenders were made in the USA or Japan, Squiers were made in Japan and Squier II's were made in Korea. At the time, they were the bottom of the Fender/Squier line but they are better quality than today's Squiers. Like most Korean instruments, they were made in the Samick factory to Fender specs. I had a Squier II P-Bass and Strat and they were OK; not great but OK.

7. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Thank lonote. Do you know what the body wood is? It looks a lot like the MIMs but I'm not sure how they compare. I know it doesn't have butterfly-style tuners, and it has the maple board. It was between this bass and an Essex. I may be shallow, but I wanted the fender headstock shape.
    I hope it turns out to be pretty good.

Dirk

8. I don't know for sure what the body wood was but my suspicion is that it was alder. My P-Bass had the "butterfly" tuners but I've seen them with Gotoh minis although they might be aftermarket additions.

9. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    While in a local shop I ran across another Squier II. It was red and had no pickguard and was rear-routed. It had a maple neck w/ skunk stripe and a maple fingerboard and it had the "butterfly" style tuners. I didn't have a chance to play it, but mine from Ebay should be in next week.

Dirk