1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Indonesia? WTH?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Sep 19, 2008.

1. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    Since when did Fender have basses made in Indonesia? I just bought at the local shop a Fender Squier maple neck bass that is made in Indonesia. It has a humbuckler silver pickup at the very top of the body. Never seen it before and I am not sure what year it was made.

I played with it for a good half hour out of an Ampeg combo and it felt real good in my hands. I needed a back up beater bass and I wanted it to be a precision with a maple neck.

I had purchased one of those Classic Vibes 1950s Squiers and canceled the order after I played this from the local shop, Apple Music. I much rather give them business than musician's friend.

It was $299 and I walked out the store with it for $240 and a nice gig bag.

But, who has more info on this bass? And Indonesia? Since when?

2. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    dude....its a squier. :meh: you can call it a 'fender squier' if you want, but they arent comparable in quality. im not saying they arent good or anything, but they arent expected to be particularly high end. all squiers are made overseas.

walldaja likes this.
  3. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    I understand that and was well aware of that. I've just never seen one made from Indonesia.

Thanks

4. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    That sounds like a vintage modified P-Bass TB It is a killer bass they were in production last year and still are as far as I know. Check the Squier Web site if you need more info

5. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    this is it here

6. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep, everything except the Affinity line IIRC is made in Indonesia. I'm fairly certain the Affinities (Squier's most low-end line) are made in China. I know my Squier Tele g****r is.

7. Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Sep 24, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I may be voicing a fairly unpopular opinion, but I've had a surprising amount of luck with those cheap-o Indonesian Squires.

Yes - I appreciate the fact that they aren't as high a quality as the American Fenders, but with a little setup, they are *awfully* good. Like any other instrument (no matter where it is from), you need to make sure it is setup the way that feels good for you. I don't care if it is a $100 bass or a $1,000 bass - if it works for you, its all good.

Sandy McCullough likes this.
  8. My Squier ADJ V was made in Indonesia...

it's a GREAT bass...

these days, "where" something was made has less to do with anything.

it's much more about, "how" something is made...

bholder likes this.
  9. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    I was just impressed with how it felt in my hands. I tested it pretty good. For $240, what the hell. I probably could have found a used one for half that but oh well. It seemed to be set up well. I was also surprised with the boom tone it had. I thought the pickup was impressive. I cannot complain that this piece of crap doesn't feel like one. I like it. She's a keeper for me and if my Rev craps the bed on stage or breaks a string, she'll be brought in for the show.

10. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    My ibanez gsr200 was made in Indonesia, and I've seen it smoking some MIA basses in craftmanship. Its a simple bass, but well made all around.

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Nice looking bass, but I could never live with a bridge like that.

cannedveggiessuck likes this.
  12. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    My Deluxe Jazz V is MI Indonesia. It kicks ass, too. So let it be...

13. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    LOL@ how you censored the "G" word.

mussa and kosmicwizard like this.
  14. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    the bridge has nothing to do with tone

15. bassfrenzie

bassfrenzie

May 26, 2008
    I have a '03 or '04 ( I'm not sure) Squire P/J made in Indonesia and it kicks ass pretty good.

Serial # IC010119418 - anybody know how that relates to the model year?

It just ain't a MIA in a whole lot of ways. But it did the job for me for about 5 years of pretty steady bar gigging. Actually had a lot of compliments on the growl.

16. :rollno:

Only if you don't hear well.

GSSPWHDB likes this.
  17. Hi.

My SquierTtele guitar is made in Indonesia, about four years old IIRC. Better than most of the USA Fenders shipped here (Europe), and for a fraction of the price.

Regards
    Sam

Edit: Seems to be -01 according to the SN information, thanks guys

18. i have a 2 squiers, my jazz bass vitange '70 and my affinity p-bass, both crafted in indonesia, and both are kick ass basses, i'm very proud of playing them, they are not the best in the market, but really good for the price

the first two letters of the s/n are location and factory prefix, then the two following numbers are the year, so according to the s/n in your bass, it was crafted in indonesia (I) by Cor-Tek (C) in '01

19. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Fender doesn't have basses made in Indonesia. But Squier does. Since at least the year 2000. I have a Indonesian Squier that was made in 2000. The serial number starts with "IC00" which means "Indonesia Cort 2000 I think.

20. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    +100!
    :bassist:

The serial # on my VM Jazz follows that information....the S/N starts out s/n IC08.... and it is a 2008 bass.