1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier J Bass Pickup Buzz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by drewish927, Mar 12, 2013.

1. drewish927

drewish927

Feb 21, 2013
    I've got an old Squier J Bass. It's my beater. I haven't taken it apart and looked around yet, but just wanted to get a thread started on this. When the volume knobs for the pickups are at the same level, it sounds pretty good, no noise. However, if one pickup is turned up more than the other I get a buzz. Like I said, I haven't pulled the cover off to see if each pup is grounded, or is the cavity is even shielded. It sounds like a grounding issue to me. Anyone have thoughts?

2. Einherjar

Einherjar

Dec 1, 2012
    Lakewood, CO
    $5 on the infamous single coil hum. It's just what jazz basses with standard single coil pick ups do. So I'm pretty sure you're going to be told to invest in noiseless jazz pickups if you want it gone. I could be wrong though. :p

3. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    Your bass is defective. Send it to me and I'll dispose of it properly :D

4. Useful Jazz tips No 5: always have both pickups full on to avoid hum.

: )

Someone had to say it!

Davo

5. drewish927

drewish927

Feb 21, 2013
    Thanks guys (well, except Geroi...) Since its my beater, I've been thinking of using it to practice installing new pickup and soldering new electronics.