1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

squier j-bass, spuier p-bass or epiphone EB-0?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by p-bass88, Mar 4, 2008.

1. p-bass88

p-bass88 Banned

Mar 4, 2008
    central NJ
    hi, im new and ive been wanting to play bass for a very long time. my parents agreed that i can get a bass for my birthday (this saturday). my dad and i went to the local guitarcenter last week (just to look around) and we saw these three basses. which is best for a beginner?

2. pjwalsh

pjwalsh

May 3, 2006
    Elkton, Md
    Whichever one feels and sounds the best to you is the right one - especially if it is in your price range. Personally I would go for one of the squiers because I prefer a 34" scale vs the 30" scale of the epi.

3. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I'd suggest the Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz Bass, which is the one I currently own. It's quite a good bass for Squier, as they've started making decent instruments again. The good thing about it is even a few years down the road it will still be good.

4. p-bass88

p-bass88 Banned

Mar 4, 2008
    central NJ
    thanks for the input guys.
    i think ill go with one of the squiers.
    afinalfantasy, sounds good but who much $$$.
    im on a budget, but my dad says he'll buy me a better bass if i can show interest in playing bass. so should i go with P-bass or J-bass?

5. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I'd go with a Jazz bass, since it has two pickups so you can blend both of them for your own sound.

Musician's Friend has the bass I have for $279.99 and a list price of $479.99. If you're wanting the Precision it costs a little less at $249.99 and list at $449.99. Since you seem to be wanting to play bass badly and want to take it seriously, it's only right that you should have a good instrument and not a crummy one that will make you not want to play.

6. p-bass88

p-bass88 Banned

Mar 4, 2008
    central NJ
    my guitar center has both for $180 (squiers) and the jazz sounds cool. but my cousin owns an awesome fender 1960's p-bass with those cool metal this by the pickups, so its kinda like a family tradition to get p-basses but idk. i either want to get a red or blue regardless of model

7. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
  8. p-bass88

p-bass88 Banned

Mar 4, 2008
    central NJ
    they look just like those but they aren't modified. i would send you a link but idk how to.

9. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I mean Modified as in the name and not actually modified.

10. p-bass88

p-bass88 Banned

Mar 4, 2008
    central NJ
    yeah thats wat i mean too.

11. knuckle

knuckle

Mar 4, 2008
    Worcester, MA
    HEY LOOK AT MY GUITAR GUYS. It's a fender yo

[​IMG]

12. pingone

pingone

Nov 29, 2007
    i think you are talking about the squier affinity series. these are hit and miss on the quality. if your cousin plays, i'd take him along with you. he should be able to help you pick out one of the "good" ones. p or j really doesn't matter, the main difference is the neck and pickups. whichever one sounds and feels best to you is the one to go with. if you stick with it you'll end up with one of both at some point anyway.

13. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Good advice pingone. Take someone with you who has more experience playing. Salespeople just want to make the sell, they don't care what kind of crap they have to tell you. A friend or relative with experience will tell you when you've found a good one.

14. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    i... uh... i don't know what to say
    i love you

15. StringThing

StringThing

Dec 6, 2007
    San Diego
    Get some Rotosound string, I like the Billy Sheehan ones on that bass. The fatter E and lighter G. Ask if they can give you a deal when you purchase. GET IT SET UP. And not just once. As a beginner, you may not notice when the neck is out, and a new bass will need adjustment. This will always be a good bass. Add a baddass bridge and some hot pickups down the road and it will eat thousand dollar basses alive!

Welcome to the club!!!

16. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Get the Squier VMJ. Makes a good bass for upgrades later on, but it's also good pretty much out of the box, once it gets a little set-up.

As for the VM precision, it has a basswood body and a rosewood board. It should sound quite a bit mellower than the Jazz, plus it only has one sound. To my ears the Jazz sounds better because of the all maple construction and it's more versatile. Plus it looks nice. :) But the white P looks very sharp in white also. In my opinion, basses shouldn't be made of basswood unless they have a maple top to brighten up the boxy sound.

[​IMG]

17. p-bass88

p-bass88 Banned

Mar 4, 2008
    central NJ
    thanks for the advice guys. StringThing, sounds cool but how much $$$? And Dee_01, very nice! how much? I asked my cousin on the phone and he said whichever bass was comfortable, but he reccomended the P because he plays a super cool 60's one.;)

18. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    I don't know how much because I'm in the UK mate, but it's $279 here http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/product/reviews/base_pid=519639/rpp=10/

I'd imagine prices elsewhere are similar.

One thing I must mention -- if you are thinking about buying this bass in person, please check that the bridge is properly aligned. I say this because mine isn't, and it's a pain to have to correct this. I am also aware of another member here who got a misaligned bridge on his VMJ. It's not common, but it happens. These are some of the things to expect with a cheap bass, but don't let it put you off because most of these new Squiers are well built instruments for the money.

19. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Aanother vote for the Squier vintage modified J bass.

20. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Let your parents read this thread... there are some good recommendations here for the Squier Vintage Modified over the Squier Affinity series... maybe they will agree to the extra $$ if they see the number of experienced players on Talkbass who are pleased with the Modified series.

You might also consider an SX (Essex) bass from rondomusic.com; the drawback however is that you would not be able to try before you buy. For the price of the Squier, you could buy a P *and* a J and decide for yourself which you like better :) Some of them even come with the cool metal thingies!

The Epiphone is a fun bass (I have one) but I would not recommend it as your only bass because it is not as versatile-sounding in my opinion.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of bass!!!