1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier J Bass truss rod help?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rkelley1408, Oct 30, 2013.

1. rkelley1408

rkelley1408

Oct 30, 2013
    Hi. I'm new to the forums here but I have a question about truss rod adjustment. I have a Squier Affinity J Bass and have been having trouble getting the truss rod adjusted right. I bought the bass about a year ago and found that the neck had too much of a bow to it, so the strings were closer to the neck at the 20th fret than at the 12th fret. I adjusted the truss rod to fix this but it took about 1 1/2 turns to get it right, which I thought was a lot. Since then, every 1-2 months the neck seems to get the bow back in it like it was when I got it and I have to re-adjust the truss rod another 1/2 - 3/4 turn. It would not be a huge deal except that it makes the action quite high around the 12th fret and seems to cause some intonation problems. Is it unusual to have to keep re-adjusting the truss rod like this? Should I bring it to a pro to be set up correctly?

TL;DR: J bass neck keeps getting bow in it, have to re-adjust truss rod every 1-2 months. Is this normal?

2. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Sounds like you got a bum neck, not the first I've seen with Squier basses, especially skinny necked J basses.

3. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
  4. rkelley1408

rkelley1408

Oct 30, 2013
    Thanks for the help guys. Problem is, I bought the bass used off craigslist (obviously not knowing of this problem) so there would be no warranty.

Is this pretty much an unfixable problem then, or at least one not worth fixing on a Squier?

5. The problem is that the wood under either the nut or the rod anchor at the other end is slowly crushing and compressing. This is why you have to keep adjusting. The good news is that it will stop eventually. The bad news is that the neck may split first.
    The only possible way to stop it from progressing further is to use very light strings, so that the rod can be looser, reducing or stopping the wood compression. But this is a big maybe.

6. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I was afraid of that. dmusic148 is right about the wood compression.

There are a couple of things you can try. Search for "straighten neck heat" You may be able to use clamps and a heat lamp to straighten it out.

There's also a website that does neck straightening with good results. I'll see if I can track that down.

One other option is to buy a replacement neck for $100 or so.

The cheapest fix will be the heat/clamps option and it may do the trick.

Bob

7. rkelley1408

rkelley1408

Oct 30, 2013
    Ok, I will try some of those suggestions, but it looks like I might be bass shopping soon.

Thanks for your help, though. I would never have figured out that that was the cause of the problem!