1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Jag Bass pickup replace

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonylevinkix, Mar 28, 2013.

1. tonylevinkix

tonylevinkix

Sep 24, 2010
    Made a fretless out of Squier Jag Bass with "bass boost" and I'm finding the bass just doesn't have the kind of definition I'm looking for in a fretless, everything but the neck is stock, PJ pup configuration. My other bass has Seymours and has great definition. I was thinking of dropping a Seymour PJ pup pair into the Squier Mod but I was wondering if the sound would improve, if the passive pups would be compatible withe bass since it's not really active? Anybody have experience or ideas?

2. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    don't quote me on this,but I think you'll be able to drop whatever pup you want in there. the bass boost is simply an active preamp, those aren't active pickups.

3. tonylevinkix

tonylevinkix

Sep 24, 2010
    That is my thinking as well, just want to make sure it'll be worthit before I drop the $100+ on pups. SDs are my fav.

4. tonylevinkix

tonylevinkix

Sep 24, 2010
    I decided to just replace the P pup since that is my fav. Replaced with a SD 1/4 pounder, sounds great. Popped in without a problem. Think I'll just leave the jazz pup, sounds ok. I'll probably replace the bridge with something much heavier but I am happy with the mods I've done on this Squier jag and it truely looks awesome.

5. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    I plan on upgrading the P-pup too eventually,and quarter pounders will probably be where I go.

6. tonylevinkix

tonylevinkix

Sep 24, 2010
    SD bass pups, always a sure bet.