1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Jaguar bass shenanigans

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Garrett Keys, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Garrett Keys

Garrett Keys

Mar 3, 2016
    So this is my first thread here on talkbass, hello everyone my name's garrett. I have a "project" bass which is a vintage modified squier jaguar bass, and so far in the project I have converted the neck to a fretless and changed the stock bridge. What I would like to do next is put in the "normal" jaguar electronics and change the pickups too probably? But I can't find anything in terms of changing my specific bass electronics, which already comes with that active bass boost, but I believe that full on jag basses have only master volume and i enjoy having individual volume for each pickup. So BASSically I want to put all the normal jaguar bass electronics on my squier jag bass, pictures of the stuff I'm talking about below. First bass is the one I own, second one is the electronics I want to add, any help is appreciated! 0328900500_gtr_frt_001_rr. fcwd-products-bass-jaguar-01-hero-american-standard.

2. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Just in case you're vague on the Am. Std. Jaguar electronics:
    The two knobs are master volume, and tone.
    The three switches are neck pickup on/off, bridge pickup on/off, and series/parallel
    The upper bout controls are active/passive switch, active bass cut/boost wheel, active treble cut/boost wheel.
    When the bass is in active mode, the tone pot on the control plate does nothing (although this isn't true for the MIJ version with two Jazz pickups).

That's a lot of wiring. I suppose you could put a Jazz control plate and have a volume for each pickup, a tone control. You'd still have a spare hole since you have a side mounted jack.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Both basses use passive pickups with an active pre-amp so you should be able to swap the guts out without any issue. You will have to do extensive routing to your Squier to accommodate all the electronics. There is a pre-amp board hidden behind the guard, in between the two additional control cavities.

4. Garrett Keys

Garrett Keys

Mar 3, 2016
    So since the pickups are passive does that mean I can just get new passive pickups and replace them because I also wanted to do that at one point

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Yup, any passive pickups will work. Just take note of your pickup sizes and find a good fit (or just route them in with the pre-amp.)

6. Garrett Keys

Garrett Keys

Mar 3, 2016
    Niiiiice thanks

7. Garrett Keys

Garrett Keys

Mar 3, 2016
    So the squier bass also has the battery box where one of the preamps is located on the American standard and I was wondering if I would need to move it to make room for the preamp?

8. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    After spending all the money on new pickups, preamp, controls, switches, routing the body and paying someone to do it, you'd be better off just finding a used American Jag an keeping the Squier as a backup.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Slater and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  9. Garrett Keys

Garrett Keys

Mar 3, 2016
    Ehhhh I see what you're saying but I dunno I like how personal doing it yourself is, like I'm definitely not paying someone to do it for me. And its not like its my main bass either like this squier jag is the back up already, I do see where you're coming from though and I appreciate your input, thx

10. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Dare I say this, if you haven't a clue what you're doing and are going to undertake this little project, I think you'll be unpleasantly surprised at how much work its actually going to be, and in turn ruin the bass and spend more than you think.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  11. Garrett Keys

Garrett Keys

Mar 3, 2016
    Maybe!