Squier Jaguar Bass SS single humbucker vs PJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hardbassjunkie, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Hi everyone,

A friend of mine is looking to buy a Squier Jaguar SS single humbucker bass but I am wondering if there is any difference from the PJ one. I know that the PJ is probably more versatile but I am wondering more if there is a difference I quality or any other notable difference.

Thanks all!

2. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Ask your friend if they like the sound of a precision or a stingray. Quality and feel will be about the same.

3. He is definately a big musicman fan. Was hoping for a short scale but looks like the HB specials are all long scale

4. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Guess it’s a trade off then. Those SS PJ jags are killer

Wfrance3 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  5. They do say super ultra easy play neck, lol not sure what that means relative to other necks

6. Is the Jag single humbucker not a full 34" scale? I thought the Jag Short scale (I`m guessing thats the one you mean) was only available as a P/J?

covermego likes this.
  7. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I have a Squier Jag HB. It's kind of a one-trick pony but it does that one trick really well... great music-man-like tone, very high output, the stock preamp is decent. the neck doesn't have a glossy finish, that might be what "ultra easy play" means. and it is 34" scale

Ronzo and alanloomis1980 like this.
  8. What do you think of the neck?

9. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I like the non-gloss finish and it does play pretty easy. I'm primarily a 5 string player though so not the best judge perhaps.

10. orichtvuna

orichtvuna

Jun 18, 2016
    Thailand
    I had the Ss and two of the pj's. The pj's took the ss to town for playability and variety, and général feel of quality. On the other hand, I held on to the ss throughout school, a spray paint punk finished, a de fretting, and a smashing. I played the crap out of that awful thing, so it can't have been that bad, though it's definitely trash now. My buddy said he was thinking of restoring it..
    If I was to buy another one, it's definitely be a pj. Best bang for your buck you can get in a cheap fender style bass.

11. FACF4771-A894-47F6-8E04-F25CCDDDF9B9.jpeg I think I have a decent handle on the differences at this point. :)

The humbucker equipped version has a completely different preamp than the P/J version, with a sound much like a StingRay. It isn’t a vintage Fender sound... but I am surprised at how useful that sound is, and how well it sits in a mix for a number of songs that I would have thought would have been appropriate for either a P or a J bass. It has opened my eyes to its general usefulness. And I’m really happy with having bought it.

The P/J model with the active bass boost has given me some problems in the last week. The bass began to “stutter” with a machine-gun like effect after playing for a short time, and it did so through every amp, every wireless system, and every instrument cable I have (even the Canare cables with Neutrik plugs - both of them). It also started eating 9 volt batteries quickly. So, today, I did the mod shown on this YouTube video:

I’m still evaluating the results tone-wise, but it seems to be a worthwhile improvement. Totally reversible, if I wish. 20 minutes of work solved the stuttering and eliminated battery dependency, at the expense of the bass boost circuit that I didn’t find useful. I may decide to replace the tone pot with a push-pull DPDT to provide an active/passive switch, but for now, I’ll let it be.

The necks on both models are just about the way I like them. Great playing and good sounding basses, for not a lot of coin. :thumbsup:

covermego likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021