1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Jaguar Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BulbousMoses, Oct 7, 2010.

1. So what's the deal with the stacked tone knobs on the new Squier Jaguar. The tone portion of the knob has detentes which, in my mind, is a negative. What happens if you want to make a quick tone adjustment on the fly during a song? Do you get an audible "click" when you turn the tone stack from one detente to the next? Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like a less than optimal way to adjust your tone.

2. I think the idea is to prevent the tone knob from accidenatlly shifting when moving the volume control. Makes sense to me.
    So far I've heard nothing about the click being audible in any fashion. I've heard both good and bad comments on the idea, mostly good.

3. Well, I'm not sure it's a bad thing but it would seem to me that it would limit the tonal variation a bit since each detente is a position rather than a smooth gradation..I dunno...I'd have to try it.

4. Maybe, but I suppose that would depend on how m any detentes theer are. The more there are, the finer the control. You would indeed have to try it out before you could be sure.

5. Yeah, that's true. It's probably something I could get used to. It's just not a control type that I've ever used before (the detentes, that is)

6. I'll hijack my own thread and ask a different question while I'm thinking about it. How important is it for the strings to be centered precisely between the pole pieces. I've done some research and some folks suggest that the magnetic field is strong enough that it makes very little difference if the strings are off center somewhat and others say it's crucial that they be centered. Many basses have this issue, from what I've seen

7. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Centered precisely--not that important. Centered more or less--important.

8. Hmm...I'm not sure what the criteria would be for "more or less" I'm trying to get a sense if I get a bass that has less than perfectly centered strings, should I send it back or is that just being uber picky.

9. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    There are 10 detents, which I don't really care for, but there is no audible click when you turn the tone ring. And there is still no indication on wither Vol or Tone knobs of where they are in theor travel. A simple white line or dot on each would've been better.

As far as using a detetnt to prevent the knobs from turning together, that may be true, but it doesn't work on my VM Jag. One set works fine, but the Vol turns with the Tone on the other one. I haven't attempted to fix this -- it may be just the newness of the control.

When I got the bass from MF, the P PUP tone ring wasn't pushed down far enough at the factory to engage the detent bump, so it turned 360 degrees. Fixed that by loosening the set screw, pushing the ring down and retightening. But if I turn the Tone ring too far up, the P PUP volume drops. I may just replace the pots with standard concentric ones with no detent.

Overall, QC Is fine and the bass feels, looks and sounds great, but I think a human should have caught the Tone ring thing at the factiry.

10. Thanks for the heads up. It just seems like a poor way to change tone. Like I said earlier, I might just be complaining because it's new and different and I hope that's the case because I really want to like this bass

11. The Squier Jaguar they have at my local GC has really crappy knobs; they don't function as designed... I imagine they just need to be adjusted in order to function as intended. One would think they GC people would have fixed this, or that it wouldn't have escaped the factory like this.

12. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    I would say if you're within a millimeter of centered you should be OK. It is more important on the thinner strings.

13. Well, given the way some GC's treat their instruments, it's completely possible it got fubar'd by some kid messing with it. But, I've heard tell of a few coming from the factory with "knoblems"

14. blackandwhite

blackandwhite

Jun 15, 2008
    The one I played last week had the P pup volume knob turning when you turned the tone, but not the other way around. It was a bit irritating but I never tried to see if I could free it up by pressing on the tone ring.

Interesting to see that the tone rings were metal, not plastic.

Nice bass, IMO.

15. blackandwhite

blackandwhite

Jun 15, 2008
    On a somewhat related note, the VM Jazz '77 they had was excellent. Could not find a flaw in it. Nice feel all around, good QC as far as I could tell, and I did eyeball the body thickness and without comparing directly to an F-brand, could not easily discern a difference.

16. If the alignment if off, is that something that can be fixed or is it just better to try another bass?

17. It depends on how badly it is off. If it was something like 1/8 of an inch off, or off to the side of both poles try another bass. If it's only a little off, it's not a big deal.

18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I have played the Jaguar at the local store a few times. I kinda like the notched tone control. I didn't hear an audible click when I changed settings. Yeah, you loose a little fine adjustment I suppose, but you also have repeatable settings. Full on for "Hard to Handle" and 3 clicks off for "Brown Eyed Girl" or whatever.

My main player is a "quasi modern sounding" 5 string. I have been very tempted to get a Jaguar and put some flats on it for my jazz quartet gigs. Not exactly an upright or fretless, but I think it would be a nice tone for playing some "standards" a few nights a month - and far cheaper. I also like the look. A little different from your standard "jazz" body, but nt so wild that you can't gig it without getting strange looks.

19. Since at the moment there's so few of these even in the stores yet - I've only had the opportunity to play three others - other than the one I own.

All of them were spot-on and the notches in the Tone pots all worked flawlessly - and remember that mine never saw anyone from the time it left wherever it was made until it saw my face. It was great, right outta the box.

The ones in GCs were all the same way - no Volume pot dragging the Tone pots and the set up was as good as you'd get without a 'personalized for you' set up.

I don't know how everybody is having such bad experiences with the Jags they find hangin' on hooks wherever they are finding them.

So far, the Jags are batting 1000 where I find one that I don't own.

20. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    I'm kind of anal about those things. My Hipshot is ever so slightly off on the E and it bugs me if I look at it too closely even though I don't hear any problem.

Put a Fender vintage P/J bridge on it for $32 and you should be able to get them right on.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-P-BassJ-Bass-Vintage-Bridge-Assembly?sku=361387