1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Jaguar Short Scale Club Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Oct 29, 2011.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    The Jag's wood seemed even softer than the piece of pine that I used to test drill the pilot hole.

2. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    I've found the consistency of the wood in these to be not very good. One of mine had great hardwood, the other one the wood was terrible. Consisted of six pieces of different woods put together. Had to go to extraordinary lengths to make it good enough to repaint.

I think that accounts for the variances in the weight and the neck dive reported by some users.

3. Like many I have noticed that the bridge pickup on the Squier Jaguar SS is more than a little anemic sounding. I read with interest the thread and posts about adding a supplemental neodymium Rare Earth magnet to the pickup, but I haven’t see details or sound samples. So here we go, I hope it makes sense.

The actual modification consists of:
    • loosening the strings
    • removing the pickup mounting screws
    • removing the pickup and cover from the body
    • take the cover off the pickup
    • placing the bar magnet on top of the pole pieces of the pickup
    (it will definitely tell you which way the magnet attaches, watch your fingers)
    • reverse the steps above to reassemble and retune your bass.

For me the best part about this modification is there are no special tools, soldering or routing required. Total time (if you put the magnet in the correct place the first time) is about 5 minutes.

I used a single 3”x1/2”x1/8 magnet from K&J Magnets, Inc. I was pleasantly surprised with the standard USPS priority shipping, arriving 2 business days after placing the order.

If you’re going to do this, I found the magnet MUST GO ON TOP of the existing pickup pole pieces inside the plastic pickup cover. (Something I didn’t see mentioned in other posts.) Recording 1, 4 & 5 clearly illustrate the difference in volume based on the placement of the supplemental magnet and the stock bridge pickup.

Please Note: By putting the magnet inside the pickup cover it increases the over all thickness of the pickup, so be careful when reinserting the mounting screws. It is easy to strip the screw hole in the body, which means you’ll have to do the “toothpick and glue” mounting hole repair.

The recording: IMO a bass’s sound can only accurately be judge by how it sits in a band mix. The linked files all use the same backing track constructed with Band-in-a-Box software. The bass was plugged directly into an E-MU 0404 USB interface. Initial levels were set for the stock soloed P (neck) pickup since I plan to leave it unmodified for now. All of the bass tracks were recorded with the input set exactly the same on the 0404 interface and within the DAW. I use Sonar X1 (no added effects or eq) for the DAW. The volume and tone on the bass were set wide open. Any variations in tone or volume are the result of the individual pick ups. If you want to isolate the individual pick up sounds from the backing band the band backing track is panned hard left, the bass is panned hard right and the only instrument.

Sound Samples:
    1 Stock Bridge Solo
    2 Stock Neck Solo
    3 Stock Both
    4 Mod Bridge magnet on bottom solo
    5 Mod Bridge magnet on TOP solo
    6 Stock Neck + Mod Bridge (magnet on top)

I hope this helps answer some question about how this relatively simple and inexpensive modification sounds.
    Here is my Jag SS
    SquierJagSS20130325-1.gif

edsand and Ed Byrnes like this.
  4. Alexlotl

Alexlotl

Nov 9, 2012
    York, UK
    These tales of dodgy wood make me think my current stop-gap straplock solution (Grolsch bottle seals) might be permanent. I kind of like how the red seals go with the thread on the La Bellas, actually...

For those who have ordered a replacement pick-guard for the Jag SS from Jeannie's, how easy was the process? The internet seems well stocked with Jeannie's customer service horror stories, but as an ex-Linux Hobbyist, it all sounds a bit familiar - it sounds like you need to make sure you're asking the right questions, using the right language, otherwise it'll go south quickly.

Questions:
    - Did you send a tracing, or just ask for a stock part?
    - Does the Jag SS pickguard have/need shielding tape?
    - How was the fit of the finished product? I don't have a pet luthier, so my modification skills are limited.
    - Given the discussion above about wood quality, were you able to just screw the new pickguard back into the same holes, or were shenanigans with wood glue and matchsticks required?

5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Another trick is to harden the wood's threads with superglue. Stewmac has an info page on this.

6. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    I bought a pick guard for one of my Jag SS's from Jeannie's. They suggest either a tracing or the original guard as the QC on these isn't perfect. I sent in my original guard and they made a perfect match from that. They will make one from any material they stock for the same price. Mine is mint pearl to go on a Taos Turquoise refinish. They quality was very good.

Not sure if shielding is needed, but since I run D'Addario tapes on mine it is shielded. I'm just in the habit of doing it.

The fit on mine was as good as the original. I did change pickup covers on mine for a set of white ones. They are just a little bigger than the originals so a little filing was necessary. Would not have been necessary otherwise.

Screw holes are fine. I would suggest not over tightening them, but that is always a good rule. It is going on the one of mine that had the six pieces of wood making up the body and no problems from the guard going back on.

I know that some people have had problems with them, but my transaction went off without a hitch.

7. jaxom

jaxom

Aug 31, 2008
    New Castle, PA
    Any recommendations where to buy new pots for this bass?

8. I just took delivery of two new 250K linear taper mini pots from All Parts. Haven't installed them, so I can't comment on them yet.

I also ordered and installed a neodymium bar magnet in the bridge pup, as described above. Holy crap! What a difference! It takes a little getting used to seeing the pickup so high (the magnet adds 1/8" to the height), but it doesn't appear to affect playability. But what a difference in output! It's like night and day. I see no reason to purchase a replacement pickup now. A good, cheap, easy and effective mod -- my favorite kind! A big thanks to dewbass4 for the soundclips and detailed instructions.

freshbass likes this.
  9. You're welcome. Glad the magnet mod worked out well for you. I'm really enjoying my modified Jag SS ..... except I'm not crazy about the non-linear tone pot. Let us know how the new pots work for you. I'm pretty sure that will be my next mod. New half round string have also helped immensely.

10. rallen

rallen

Mar 16, 2013
    Somerset KY
    New here on TB forum. Have been reading and following the Squire forum for quite some time. Played six string guitar for 20+ years and my brother (professional bassist) finally "converted" me to a bass. Haven't picked up a six string since. Have been playing bass a couple years (34") but have really fallen in love with ss basses. Just got the Squire Jaguire today! Modding the pu's and tuners.

I apologize if I'm in the wrong place here on TB, but wanted to know how to join the club! I'd appreciate if someone could give me some direction :help:

Thanks!
    Rallen

11. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Welcome aboard! As a guitarist, I suspect the SS would be far more natural to you. I bought mine as a toy, or perhaps more specifically as an experimental platform. I started out on a SS bass, and liked the idea of having one around. But after I bought mine, I became a little more circumspect. Yes it's still an experimental platform to me, but I have to be more serious about my schemes, as this is a surprisingly nice bass. And for the cost, it's nearly impossible to beat. On the other hand, the potential for outrageous mods is there, and it cost less than a Warmoth neck.In my little universe, it's the coolest toy ever!

Richie Se7en likes this.
  12. rallen

rallen

Mar 16, 2013
    Somerset KY
    JoeWPdh,
    Thanks for the welcome! I played the Jag today straight out of the box. With the mods and a little bit of initial setup, it will be a great instrument! Can't wait to play this with my band! None of them are in to "brands", so they'll appreciate a good tone!

Do you know what I need to do to join this "club", or the ss club? Just wanna learn more about ss scales and become a part of the community!

13. All you need to do is post a photo. No photo, no bass! :)

14. Alexlotl

Alexlotl

Nov 9, 2012
    York, UK
    Not in the wrong place, but there's also a handy generic SS thread you might want to look in on.

15. rallen

rallen

Mar 16, 2013
    Somerset KY
    Thanks guys! As soon as I get the mods done in a day is so, I'll post the picture!
    Alexlotl, I'll take your suggestion and check out the ss forum, thanks again!!

16. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    And... it does, barely. Very barely. It's a nice enough bag, with plenty of room in the body area, but it is a touch on the short side. A re-wind of the g string will help; if the tuner "ear" was at a different angle it would fit much better. I'll do that tomorrow.

Attached Files:

17. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    Oh, did I mention that my bass arrived today? :hyper:

Attached Files:

18. Hi,

I have found that my Jaguar's input socket keeps coming loose. Have been turning the hexagonal nut with pliers but now find when I tighten, the lead jack will not fully insert. Worried that a circular plate also tries to move and can imagine the wires coming off the solder if I turn that as well. Sorry, not a guitar tech! Any advice please?

19. jameshdurham

jameshdurham

Aug 13, 2010
    I took a small piece of thin yoga mat and cut it into a washer shape. Then I put it on the back of the plate where the input jack goes and tightened it down. It provides a little grip and keeps it from spinning.

Yoga mats are also great to layer underneath pickups to adjust the height. They are very springy and can be layered to almost any height you want.

20. Jackster007

Jackster007

Sep 30, 2011
    Mine did not have a star washer on it. Since I added one the jack has stayed tight.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.