1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Jaguar Short Scale Club Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Aug 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Queue

Queue

Jul 5, 2013
    DC Suburbs, USA
    Do post a pic of that! Sounds like you'd fit right in on a Ziggy Stardust tour.

GoLeafsGo and EatS1stBassist like this.
  2. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Progress on the JagStang. Put a Dimarzio in the P spot, removed the J and routed the body for a Mustang pickup.

I went with a switch. It's supposed to be 3 way, but somehow I ended up with it using the P in one position,
    and the M in the other. The middle position is a kill switch, but I like it that way, with each one isolated.
    They either sent me the wrong switch or I wired it wrong - IDK.
    It's still got the tone knob, so I can get a good variety of sounds from it.

Pretty much done, except I might paint the pick guard.
    A couple pics, so you can't say it didn't happen:laugh::

whole - Copy.JPG

body - Copy.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    lowplaces, Queue, Slinger and 2 others like this.
  3. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Super Cool!!:thumbsup:

4. What colour black might you paint the pick guard?;)

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  5. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Good one;)

6. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Ha ha - black seems to go best.
    You can't tell because of the flash. but the mounting plate for the Mustang pickup is black pearl.
    I could have just left it plain black - it looked just as good that way.
    But you know - you gotta' try stuff out to know if you'll like it.

I like the black/orange/halloween type look, so I might go with orange. Black and green is a good combo too, I think.
    No wait.... maybe blue. :D
    What would you guys do with a black pick guard on a black bass?

7. Make sure it was held on with black screws. :laugh:

GoLeafsGo and EatS1stBassist like this.
  8. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Couldn't decide, so I just sparkled it. Easy enough to pick up another pick guard if I get tired of it. No flash and flash pics:

No flash - Copy. Flash - Copy.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  9. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    GoLeafsGo likes this.
  10. Queue

Queue

Jul 5, 2013
    DC Suburbs, USA
    Curious, has anyone put a neck with a maple fingerboard on one of these?

11. GREAT club thread!!! Just bought a used SS from an ebay’er...Pencil me in for “team grey” status...Will post pics as soon as the fed ex moron finds my rural address...
    On a related note...
    Are these babies discontinued or just “out of stock” in perpetuity???
    Had a damn hard time trying to find one of these beaut’s...

EatS1stBassist and Slinger like this.
  12. Sadly, they're discontinued as of this year. They may return at a later date, or not. Considering hardly anyone has any back stock they must have pretty much sold through their total production run. Perhaps they just sold too slowly for Fender... Not that there's usually a logical reason for these things.

Don't forget to post a pic when yours arrives so you can "officially" join the club. ;)

EatS1stBassist and RushNut2112 like this.
  13. OtherLisa

OtherLisa

Nov 30, 2013
    RUSH, I even emailed Fender to ask what was up with these and he said they were discontinued as of January and to watch NAMM coming up for any announcements.

Kicking myself for not having bought a second one, to be honest!

Slinger and EatS1stBassist like this.
  14. I think a lot of people are starting to feel that way. Look at it this way though, there's a whole load of poor suckers out there who don't even have one little Jag, and who will be so envious of us owners once they get a load of ours. They will end up offering us huge sums of money, perhaps even enough to retire on, just to borrow one for a gig. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

OK, maybe I'm going a tad overboard. We got 'em, they don't, though.:cool:

15. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Since this post: Squier Jaguar Short Scale Club Part 3

I've changed my mind. I'm going to leave the silver one stock.
    The black one is modded beyond the 'going back to stock' phase.
    The red one could be put back to stock with a bit of work.
    The silver one is good 'as-is'.

16. You haven't got the sunburst model? ;)

Drestakil and Orangeclawhammr like this.
  17. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Controversial. Discussed in this thread, I think.

It's my understanding that the sunburst model was part of a beginner pack
    that included an entry level amp, and that the bass was an Affinity model
    rather than the Vintage Modified model.

Also, I've never seen any place list the sunburst one as an option outside of the pack with the amp.
    All the stores I've seen list the three options as black, red, and silver.

They look the same though except for the finish and the unpainted head stock.
    Others have disagreed with this, and I don't think it's on the site anymore.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  18. I believe the sunbursts turned up now and again at places in the States like the used section in GC, with or without the little Rumble 15 amp out of the pack. This ad for the pack confuses things absolutely completely, and utterly. The description starts out with "For those who want to start playing bass - there's no more comprehensive starter pack than the Fender Affinity Bass Start Playing Packs," but further down the description, it mentions "The all-new Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special SS..." Amazon, over here, also listed it as a Vintage Modified when it was available.

What I'm wondering is, if the pack, as a whole, was classed by Fender as an Affinity pack, which contained a VM Jag, if that makes any sense.

The other standout thing about the sunburst models, so it was reported by a few people here I seem to remember, is that the weight varied quite a lot between different sunburst model guitars.

19. Downsman

Downsman

Jan 30, 2016
    Did you get a sense of what they meant by any announcements? In short scales feels like this leaves a big jump between the Bronco and the Mustang PJ bass in the Squier/Fender line up. Surely they'll plug it with something.

OtherLisa likes this.
  20. OtherLisa

OtherLisa

Nov 30, 2013
    DOWNSMAN, I went back and reread the email. Here it is:

"Thanks for reaching out to us. Yes, unfortunately, the Jaguar short scale has been discontinued. I am not currently aware if a new replacement will be offered but if so it will be announced in either July or January at the NAMM show."

I was so fixated on the whole thing that I called Fender too, while waiting for an email response. The representative on the phone was the one who told me they'd been discontinued in January. I sorta conflated the two conversations in my mind.