1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Jaguar Short Scale Club Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Aug 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Probably take the high mass bridge off my p bass project and put it on the jag as well...

2. I’m debating on which bridge j bass pickup I want to upgrade to...Not sure I want the same high end that I get from the Dimarzio’s on my jazz...More interested in a throatier lower end growl to compliment the stock p bass pickups...Never played/heard the SD quarter pounder’s, or the EMG geezers...Any thoughts/opinions on which j bass pickup would give me the lower end growl I seek to put through my PF 500 and SVT 210’s???

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  3. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    I put SD Quarter Pounders on mine and very much like the sound, but I have also heard others who are very high on the sound of the Geezers as well.

4. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Have you considered Aguilar?.....

5. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    I’m so poor :rollno: I wasn’t able to outright buy anything! Lol!:D I did some work for a music store
    And I liked the SS Jag. I ended up with the CAR Jag and then months later I finished a classical guitar repair and got the Silver Jag! By then, the available SS Jaguars left were fast becoming non-existent. Love them both! Silver is setup with flats with rounds on Red!
    BTW.. I did own a Fender Mustang but the bonding never happened so I sold it.

Slinger and WallaceSnr like this.
  6. Those were on the “higher” end of my budget...Are those active p’ups??? I was under the impression that they were...But my experience/knowledge of them is severely limited...

EatS1stBassist and UnderTheRadar like this.
  7. Here she is before the mods...
    I shall take my “full” member number, hehe...

Attached Files:

8. Anyone see anything like this???
    I have a high mass bridge that matches up with my bad ass II on my jazz, so I THOUGHT that it would drop in to the jag shorty...
    Apparently, the hole spacing in the jag is much tighter than the standard spacing on my jazz basses...
    Is that a common thing???

Attached Files:

9. Here’s another view with the jag’s bridge “on top” of the high mass bridge...Holes are way off...
    Thoughts???

Attached Files:

10. I put a Gotoh 201B-4 on mine, and the info on that says "stock Fender mounting holes" and, indeed, it dropped straight in, no problem. As far as I'm aware the Badass II is supposed to be the same fit.

11. I guess I will have to measure the distance between the holes on the jag and then try to find a bridge to match...
    I am not against plugging the holes and drilling out some new pilots...
    Just hate to have to do that if I could find a high mass to fit...
    That being said, I have a pic of the few upgrades I have finished...
    Black p’guard screws...
    Black nylon tape wounds...
    Black knurled knobs...
    This thing sounds BOSS!!!
    Ohh...and she weighed in at 7 lbs 14.3 ounces...without the high mass bridge...

Attached Files:

Slinger and GoLeafsGo like this.
  12. Fat Freddy

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Read post #2730.....buy suggested bridge.....It will make you happy....:thumbsup::)

9fingers, Slinger and RushNut2112 like this.
  13. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    :) By the way, what black strings are you using and what gauge? Thank you! EatS

RushNut2112 likes this.
  14. EatS...those are D’Addario black nylon tape wounds...50-105’s, I believe...

15. Is it worth mentioning the "matchstick trick" as we're talking about swapping bridges? Anyway, for the one person in million who hasn't heard of it, if it's a direct replacement don't bother 'professionally' filling the original screw-holes, just poke a wooden matchstick ("live" end upwards:D) or a wooden cocktail stick down the hole, snap it off level with the body, and voila, instant grip for the new screws.

I know I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here, but after having run forums for a goodly few years myself I know that there's always some poor soul who actually doesn't know everything. ;)

16. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal

RushNut2112 likes this.
  17. Queue

Queue

Jul 5, 2013
    DC Suburbs, USA
    ...and in case you're not sure what a "wooden cocktail stick" is, you can substitute with a toothpick. ;)

RushNut2112 and Fat Freddy like this.
  18. Fat Freddy

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Yeah...but....if my bass body is walnut, (not applicable for the Jag but in general) does that mean that I'd have to find walnut tooth/cocktail sticks so that I don't mess up the tonewoodyness of my bass?.....:whistle:

EatS1stBassist, Queue and GoLeafsGo like this.
  19. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Use minty toothpicks, it will freshen up your tone...

20. Well... OBVIOUSLY! :bored:

:smug:

RushNut2112 and Fat Freddy like this.