Squier Jaguar Short Scale Club Part 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Aug 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. DAVEYC

DAVEYC

Jun 30, 2019
    East Sussex
    I searched ' Jaguar bass' , filtered to Used, and it came up as the last listing on the first page.

2. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    Thanks for checking.

We shouldn't have to do that, as the default view at Reverb already is 'new and used', together.

But I did try your method, and still do not see the ad.

I wonder whether they are filtering without my explicit permission, based on the fact that they know me to be using a Canadian IP address ?

After all, they did adjust the pricing for me on that basis, though for that, they asked me to confirm.

If I wanted, I could have a USA item shipped to a USA address, and have a broker forward to me.

I have such an arrangement in place, and have successfully used it in the past.

But I cannot do so if I do not see an item in the first place, and therefore do not know it to be available.

It looks like Reverb is shooting themselves and their sellers in the foot, or more accurately, in the pocketbook.

That all said, you appear to be in the UK, and you can see it in a search ?

If so, then being outside of the USA may not be the reason.

But in that case I do not know what IS. :confused:
    ~

3. Queue

Queue

Jul 5, 2013
    DC Suburbs, USA
    I first searched "Squier Jaguar Short" and didn't find it.
    Then I searched "Squier Jaguar SS" and found it.

Now both searches return it.

DavesnothereCA likes this.
  4. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    OK, I have my answer.

I should not have to do this either, but let all Canadians be aware :

If you let Reverb convert your currency as a convenience [they prompt you let them to do this if they see a Canadian IP address], then they also assume that you will wish to have the item shipped to Canada, and any others which you view later.

This, as I explained above, is not necessarily true.

They then filter out items for which the seller has limited shipping to [for example] the continental USA.

BUT THEY DO NOT TELL YOU THAT THEY HAVE DONE THIS.

They may also do this for other countries, I dunno.

Regardless, how they do things is not at all intuitive.

What they SHOULD DO, is show the viewer all of the items anyway, and put a warning on each item's page that the seller may not [or will not] ship to the country where the viewer appears to be located.

This is the gold standard set by eBay, DECADES AGO, and Reverb should set up their system in the same way, so as to not cause confusion and lose business for themselves and their sellers.

Amazon [for example] also pretty much follows the eBay method these days, BTW.

Moral of story :

When Reverb offers to set the currency in ads to yours, say NO, and then you will see the items which you otherwise would miss, and if you really WANT an item for which the seller has not set up the ad to ship to your country, contact them and see what can be arranged, as sometimes sellers make mistakes in how they set up their ads [or will reconsider, depending upon how long it has been listed], and will work with you if you reach out.
    ~

pc, BlueTalon, Queue and 1 other person like this.
  5. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    Thanks for checking.

As you can see from my last post #4164, my situation occurred for a different reason than yours.

That's why I used a very broad search term of 'jaguar bass', which should show everything [including long and medium scale jags, and mis-posted short scale ones as well], unless they misspelled bass as 'base', or forgot to say 'bass' at all. :smug:
    ~

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Queue and SoulReflection like this.
  6. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test...

I hope it’s okay to post a question on here regarding a medium scale Squier CV Jaguar bass that I just purchased. Any recommendations for a nice padded gig bag?

My 15 yr old daughter will be using this bass in her H.S. marching band (in the pit during competitions). I want to make sure it remains intact!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  7. berman3313

berman3313 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic
    Finally think I'm done with the mods - the Nordstrand Pickups sound awesome. Finally, a reasonable balance between P and J and both sound great together!

full (Medium).jpg body (Medium).jpg UC N pups (Medium).jpg

8. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    berman3313 likes this.
  9. Luis A

Luis A

Apr 18, 2018
    Spain
    I´m glad that worked for you. In my case, I invested in a DiMarzio Ultra Jazz (DP148) pickup for the J, but it didn´t make it any better. In fact, I keep just using the stock P pickup alone.
    DiMarzioJ.JPG

10. Kijekuyo

Kijekuyo

Oct 19, 2018
    La Mesa, CA
    That's too bad. It's not the kind of thing you can test before buying.

SoulReflection likes this.
  11. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    I don't mind throwing a bit of cash into mods. Between changing basses, strings and/or pups there is also the changes in one's tone and music tastes. Pups are cheaper than basses...in other words, I am hooked!

Slinger, DavesnothereCA and BlueTalon like this.
  12. Kijekuyo

Kijekuyo

Oct 19, 2018
    La Mesa, CA
    I think these costs would be easier for me if I were currently in an active band. I'm working toward it; then I don't mind the investments.

13. Kijekuyo

Kijekuyo

Oct 19, 2018
    La Mesa, CA
    Hey I remember when you bought this bass.

14. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I had a similar experience when I got some Bill Lawrence J-45's for my fretless jazz. I really didn't notice much difference from the Squier CV pickups that were in there. Considering how much pickups cost here in NZ I'm very hesitant to ever bother changing pickups again.

In saying that, I put the spare CV bridge pickup into my Jag and it seems to be a bit more responsive than the stock Jag J pickup.

15. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    OK, but how many of these alternate J pickups solved the hum issue which the original single coil pup has ?

That's what would be MY #1 consideration when looking into replacing it.
    ~

BlueTalon likes this.
  16. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Well, ideally, you wouldn't want to take a hit with an inferior tone as the price for canceling hum, but I'm with you. There are too many good sounding hum-canceling J bridge pickups for me to voluntarily deal with any noise after replacing the pickup.

DavesnothereCA likes this.
  17. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    Yes, if a person is willing to spend above a certain amount of money, I can think of several choices which will achieve both objectives.

Or [with a lot less work involved], just use the P pup. :smug:

Fortunately, no need for me to buy any, as my parts boxes contain some used early EMG active pups, a PJ set and JJ set, as I think I've posted somewhere upthread and/or elsewhere on TB.

Now if I can just remember in which other parts repository, then dig up and lay my hands on the leftover pots from the EMGs which I installed new on my Ric in 1985.... :whistle:

The original bridge and most of the factory electronics from my Ric are stashed somewhere too. :eyebrow:

I only used one pot of the 4 for that arrangement [accompanied by the selector switch from the Ric], so the remaining 3 pots could suit my Jag very well, along with the complete PJ EMG set.
    ~

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    oldandbold and SoulReflection like this.
  18. Burtt

Burtt

Apr 16, 2020
    Phoenix
    What would a good price for one these be that’s been upgraded with a babicz bridge and sd quarter pound pups? A friend of a friend has a nice one and wants 550, but idk if that’s fair even considering the upgrades. I know they’re getting harder to come by, so.. what do you guys think?
    thanks!

19. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    I would be embarrassed to charge that much for a bass that cost less than $200 new, even with the upgrades which, have arguable value.

You could do better looking at a short-scale from some other source and do your own mods, IMHO.

Burtt likes this.
  20. Collin Lyle

Collin Lyle Why not? Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Stock ones have been running $350 - $450 for a while now. So, no, $550 with the upgrades isn't way out of line. But, that really depends on the how well the upgrades were done and the overall condition. I've also seen some recently that had upgrades that were priced closer to the $450 range. So, $550 may be a little high but not crazy high.

DavesnothereCA, BlueTalon and Burtt like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021