Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

squier japan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peterjc, Feb 21, 2005.

1. peterjc

peterjc

Nov 3, 2004
    netherlands
    My first bass was a squier jazzbass jv series.
    Later i bought more upmarket instruments and sold the squier.Now 15 years later i realize what a stupid thing i did, because these first squers where really very underpriced.the only fender jazz i ever came across that was of a better quality was a 63 one.At the moment i am looking to find one,no luck till now, but now i came across a 86 one. Can anyone tell me something about that bass. it is not a jv but it is still japan.
    I remember friends having one and they sounded ok.

2. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I have an '83 with serial # starting with SQ. I believe these were made until '86. Mine is terrific- 2 piece bookmatched ash in sunburst. The tone was very nice but for more power I put in a SD Basslines QuarterPounder- basically same tone "on steroids". It is the favorite bass of all my buddies down at the Sunday Jams.A friend of mine plays a similar vintage Japanese Squire and hers is equally as nice. She gets all the power she needs, in fact, most people think she plays too loud! Hers is all original.
    I did go nuts a little and added pickup and bridge covers as well as a thumb rest (where the thumb really rests!!). These are considered in the same class as the JV ones as far as American pickups, etc... I'd give it a shot. By the way, I got mine used for $275.00 at Bazarre Guitar in Phoenix about 4 months ago.