1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

squier japan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peterjc, Feb 21, 2005.

1. peterjc

peterjc

Nov 3, 2004
    netherlands
    My first bass was a squier jazzbass jv series.
    Later i bought more upmarket instruments and sold the squier.Now 15 years later i realize what a stupid thing i did, because these first squers where really very underpriced.the only fender jazz i ever came across that was of a better quality was a 63 one.At the moment i am looking to find one,no luck till now, but now i came across a 86 one. Can anyone tell me something about that bass. it is not a jv but it is still japan.
    I remember friends having one and they sounded ok.

2. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I have an '83 with serial # starting with SQ. I believe these were made until '86. Mine is terrific- 2 piece bookmatched ash in sunburst. The tone was very nice but for more power I put in a SD Basslines QuarterPounder- basically same tone "on steroids". It is the favorite bass of all my buddies down at the Sunday Jams.A friend of mine plays a similar vintage Japanese Squire and hers is equally as nice. She gets all the power she needs, in fact, most people think she plays too loud! Hers is all original.
    I did go nuts a little and added pickup and bridge covers as well as a thumb rest (where the thumb really rests!!). These are considered in the same class as the JV ones as far as American pickups, etc... I'd give it a shot. By the way, I got mine used for $275.00 at Bazarre Guitar in Phoenix about 4 months ago.