Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deynn, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Has anyone played one of the new Squier Jazz basses yet? I saw it in the new MF catalog for $229. That is only $70 less than the MIM Jazz. So...what is the difference in quality??

2. I can't really say how much I liked the new one, because I have never played one. I do know that the one that I had before was pretty good. It had a nice feel, but buzzed a lot, because of my failure to shield the innards. I had it set up at a local shop, and it played really well afterwards. The thing that I thought was different was that it was made in Mexico, not any other place like Korea or China. After the set up I would still prefer mine over any of the in store MIM's. The neck felt pretty good, but the frets were kind of shoddy now that I think of it. They hung over the edge on the g string side and felt sharp. Also the tuners I dont like much either. The gear was sharp and big and could cut your hand if you didnt watch out. I now have a MIA P and a Delux V, so I no LOnger have this problem. So in the end I thought it was a good bass to start out on. Sorry for rambling, I probably confused you, but I would just say to try it gefore you buy it!

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I am not looking to purchase one of these for myself, but wondered if it might be a bass, that we could recommend to a new player looking for an inexpensive bass.

4. I'd recommend it to another player, just play more than one and pick the best player. Probably not a good mail-order item, unless you live in the boondocks and that's your only choice. I think the main difference is the Squier Jazz uses thick ply wood, instead of a solid piece of wood. I have an older Korean Squier Jazz, and it plays better than my MIM Jazz! They will surprise you sometimes.

Chris

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    they are a good 1st time bass. in my opioion it would be better to get the mim deluxe active jazz bass to start out on. they have better etronics in them, a bit better bridge, and over all sound much better. the big difference is in quality. ive got an mia deluxe and a mim deluxe, and there is a big difference in quality and tone between the squires and mim's. the woods are different, poplar in the mim's compard to plywood. (i think its plywood) better tuners, etc.

6. Are you guys serious about the plywood? That sounds a bit strange to me. I stripped the paint off of my MIChina Squier Affinity P-bass and it's definitely not plywood, so I'd be surprised to hear that the more expensive Squier Jazz is made of plywood.

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    No plywood, thats Alembic :p :D
    It's solid hardwood, could be poplar, ash or alder, or some other local asian hardwood. I know I've read something about that, probably in TalkBass! Time for a search?

8. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    umm...ash isn't too common here Asia...
    but we do have Bamboo!
    lol that would be really bad

9. I think they're poplar. The same kind of wood they farm up here to make pulp. I saw some new squiers p's at GC. They don't have the normal schaller type "elephant ear" tuners...They have cheap stamped steel box tuners like on a pawnshop Teisco guitar. That's a big hit. I don't know if those piles have made it on the jazzes yet but let's pray they don't.

10. Actually, yes, plywood, at least on my very fist bass, a Squier P-bass. Nasty plywood body, that thing. But it sure sounded good.

I loved that bass till the truss rod snapped. I got a solid 8 years out of that bass. Maybe I shouldn't have had those super-heavy flats on it... :D

FF

11. My Squier Affinity P Bass is made of Alder. Cuz thats what the internet says. And theres a bunch of paint chips, and it doesnt look like plywood.

12. I once stripped the paint of a 1980's Squier J-bass.
    The body was a sandwich construction. Two 1/4" pieces of probably swamp ash on the back and front, and 6 pieces of alder in between. Near the jack out there was a large part of epoxy resin trying to pass for wood. The general idea is that these instruments were (still are?) made from pieces of scrap wood.
    Not surprising of course, you get what you pay for after all.

Bert

BTW, it sounded awful even after a major "frankenbassing" effort.

13. This is a pic of a 1997 Squier Affinity. It is clearly solid, made up of 4 solid 'chunks' (numbered) glued together. I don't know what kind of wood it is (anybody recognize it?). Unlike Treb's J bass, after defretting this one, replacing the pickups, and a good setup, it sounds great! I own a Fender Pastorius, a MIM Jazz, and a Peavey Cirrus 6, and I personally feel that this P bass is better than all except the Peavey (call me crazy). I originally bought it for my 11 year old daughter, but it was too big for her. I was going to sell it, but ended up modifying it, and I'm happy that I held on to it.

[​IMG]

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i was just looking at the fender page and checked out squire. It says the P bass they offer is made of a solid hardwood, it doesnt specify the type of wood, i didnt see any jazz basses on the page, but my hypothosys would be the both of them are made from the same woods. I know the standard series fender jazz and deluxe active jazz is made from poplar, so i think itd be relativly safe to say that the squires are made of something lower grade than poplar.

15. holderman

holderman

May 25, 2000
    AFAIK, Squiers are made of either alder or agathis, an Asian hardwood.

16. The extra $70 for MIM Jazz well is worth the money IMO. Better construction, better resale value, and doesn't have that squire logo on it (I prefer the big Fender logo on the headstock).

17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i dont think the squires are made of alder, thats what they make the american deluxes out of, i dont think they will use the same wood on there cheapo models. I would think its agatis or poplar tho as Ibanez uses agatis on there lower end models as well.

18. Woohoo! I win! Cuz I got a point. Nyaah nyahh!