Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by h79, Oct 28, 2005.

1. h79

h79

Oct 28, 2005
    Hi!

I'm looking for a JB sound, but I haven't enough money to buy an american one, so I think about buying a Squier JB and then change the pickups. Has anyone done a thing like that? What about the quality of Squier?
    And, last question, what is the real difference between the Standard and the Affinity series except the price?

Thank you for helping me!

2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Have you looked at the SX basses?

3. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    I own a Squier standard and I've swapped out the pups with some I had lying around. The only thing was that the bridge pup on the Squier standard is the same size as the neck pup. So, if you're swapping them out for an aftermarket set, you have to work the bridge pup routing a little with sandpaper, file, whatever.

I personally liked it better than a MIA I sold. The quality I'd say is good - I don't have any complaints. I don't know the Affinity series, so the only difference I know is that the standard has an Agathis body if that means anything to you.

I'm sure at the price you're looking for, you'll get some suggestions to check out the SX basses. No experience with them, but I'm sure you can find out all you want to know abou them through a search.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    H79, since nobody else has yet, I'll give you the URL for Essex basses. www.rondomusic.net . They are held in some respect around here.

5. The music store I frequent has a Squire Jazz for $249 and a Mexican Jazz for $399. They're both pretty good. But.....

I bought an Essex SJB-62 for $140, shipped, and it sounds better than either the MIM or Squire Jazz. Do yourself a favor, save at least $100 and get yourself an Essex Jazz.

6. Naminator01

Naminator01

Oct 29, 2005
    Please dont go for a squier i tried playing a gig with it (dont laugh) the volume and tone bolts popped right of so embarassinggggggggggg

its worse than an n64 u tap it and it crashes.......

7. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Squires are okay, but they have horrible fret jobs :(. I would go with a SX bass, I own a brice, and for the money, it's the best 6 string out imo. Im not able to spend 2000 on a F bass or what not, so instead i spent 300 on my brice. They ship fast, you'll be very happy. You may not even need to replace the pups. But if you do- Nordstrand = great for Jazz pups.

8. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
    I'd go with the SX JB myself.I bought one a few years back and still play it today with a set of Dimarzio J's installed.A much nicer bass for quality,playability and price wise than the Squires.:cool:

9. Definately go for SX over a Squier.

10. Possu jam

Possu jam

May 16, 2004
    Finland
    Could someone tell me why are the SX´s basses so cheap?

Too bad they dont ship to Europe...

11. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Made in China

Good nuff reason? The quality of Chinese instruments has been on the rise though.

And http://www.sxguitar.com/ may be a resource when trying for Europe...

12. Possu jam

Possu jam

May 16, 2004
    Finland
    Hmm thanks. Yep, Chinese quality is starting to take over slowly.

13. Saw that one coming a mile away.