Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ndjx, Oct 14, 2002.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    How are these compared to the MIM's and/or Essex's? I want one mainly because I like Jazz basses and they offer them in Candy Apple Red which is my favorite color. Of course I'd probably upgrade it with a new bridge,pick-ups, j-retro and maybe even a maple neck (I like alot of treble). Anyways, I'd like to hear some opinions on them for anyone that has played them. Thanks.

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Ok I know someone out there can help me with this....

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    why not just get a Warmoth custom with a solid color finish on it... your probably gonna rebuild the whole bass anyways (from what I can tell) and Warmoth woods are alot better of a quality then Squiers for sure.

DM

4. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Yes but wouldnt the Warmoth cost alot more?

What's the average price for a custom warmoth anyway?

5. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    From what I've heard, the essex jazz basses are superior to squier and can even sound comparible to some MIMs. Worth a look in my opinion.

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    well i mean, the only thing u aren't gonna really change is the body (I don't think u will upgrade everything but not the Tuners and stuff)... so ur gonna basically spend $150-200 on a squier....... So why not get a solid colored body for around $200??? Then rather than upgrading everything, just get the parts fro it.. and who said the warmoth had to be an active bass? you can always make it passive! :)

I think it would sound alot better with the warmoth just costing maybe like $100-200 more to build...

PS: also u need the time but u will love it ALOT more than u will for the squier

DM

7. I kinda have to agree with DM on this one.

Personally, I won't ever buy another Squier, simply because they are too random as far as quality.

I'd go with an Essex, it's cheaper than the Squier, plays better than the Squier, and the MIM, IMO.

But, you're gonna change the neck, bridge, pickups, pots (for the pre), and like DM said, probably the tuners, too. And maybe even the pickguard once you get going! :D So basically, the only thing you're keeping is the body. Not much reason to spend $150- $200 on a bass, when all you really want is the body.

But if you want a bass to play, and upgrade over time, I'd recommend the Essex. I'm getting another one shortly, and that is my plan.