1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Jazz ground noise, then not, then again, then not..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big Hoss, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

I'm thinking one of the ground connections isn't quite right on my new Squier Affinity Jazz bass...

Last night when I was practicing, I was getting a buzz / hum when I wasn't touching strings or the bridge I was figuring on it being a problem with a ground. I spaced it out getting busy with other stuff today, and tonight used the Jazz to practice, and it was dead quiet, no hum, no buzz...

Same setup, didn't even unplug / plug anything back in...

Mind you, my intended mods for this bass are....

#1. Squier Duncan Designed Vintage Modified pickups.
    #2. Shield pickup and control cavities.
    #3. Squier Classic Vibe High Mass bridge with brass saddles.

I admit I didn't acxtually originally intend on upgrading the pickups, but I got a deal from the classifieds... Dang Talkbass! I was actually searching for cosmetic upgrade pieces...

SunnBass likes this.
  2. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Have you ben in the control cavity yet? Besides what you mentioned, a pot could be touching the body, also my experience has been the output jack has caused most of those issues for me.

placedesjardins likes this.
  3. The wiring in my building is old. Not even 3 prong outlets in most of the rooms. I get all kinds of grounding, humming gremlins that come and go based on who has what plugged in where....it's maddening at times. You said you didn't unplug anything though so you didn't switch polarity so maybe something on the same circuit. If you had one of the pickups rolled off a little, that can cut hum down too. I know everyone in the building must turn on their hair dryers and can openers when I use one of my Jaguar deluxes because there is this pesky hum...

OEW3 likes this.
  4. 2.6kHz

2.6kHz

Jul 9, 2014
    Stow, MA
    If the noise goes away when you touch the strings, you don't have a grounding issue. You have a shielding issue. Either the shielding is inadequate or the shielding is not grounded.

5. Big Hoss

Okay. But tonight no noise at all...

6. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I had that problem with one of the turn signals in my car.

7. Big Hoss

not yet...

8. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Both pups on full? J basses hum more with with one pup rolled off. Usually corrected by shielding

Having said that i had one J would buzz if i moved in the room, referenced above about old buildings and wiring and such

9. Big Hoss

Yeah full on.

House over 30 years old. Wiring and panel done 2 years ago.

Doubt it's an electric source issue aside from maybe a bad surge strip.

10. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Guessing bad bridge ground, output jack dirty, or bad ground to the body.
    Sounds like with the mods you are planning, you can kill this bird with that stone.

The shielding sticky in the pickups forum is a great benefit

11. Big Hoss

Well, brand spanking new factory fresh Jazz bass so the jack had better not be dirty... I am thinking possibly flaky ground connection under that control cover.

Like I said, I had no initial plan to swap out pickups, but stupid me had to go looking in the classifieds...

Still trying to find just the right deal on a Squier CV, or Fender High Mass bridge with brass saddles for this thing... And the perfect pick guard...

I did something dumb though, Was noodling around with my bass while watching Eddie and The Cruisers... Man that stuff is simple...

mrb327 likes this.
  12. Big Hoss

I think I have found the issue, and this is going to be a warranty claim for Fender. When I roll the tone pot all the way to the bass end the problem goes away, no buzz, no hum. But when I roll the tone knob over about 40% toward the treble, it buzzes like crazy when I am not touching any metal on the instrument. I need to talk to Fender Customer Service, but I don't know their business hours.

13. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    By chance do you have a computer or another electronic device close by when you are hearing the hum? Perhaps it's interference.

14. Big Hoss

Just the amp.

15. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Also...why the DD pups as an upgrade? Because they are cheap? I know they can be had in the classifieds here for very cheap. And don't get me wrong, they do sound very good. I have them in my VM jazz with CTS 250k pots. But if I were upgrading Affinity pups I'd get the real deal Duncan SJB1.

16. The Duncan Designed stock pups in my VM fretless were noisy even after a copper foil shielding and star-grounding job. Swapped them out with SD Basslines which I got cheap (can't remember the model) and it's been quiet as hell.

17. Big Hoss

I actually like the DD pickups. If you see my earlier posts about the necks, the neck is why I picked an Affinity over a CV or VM Jazz... I really like the VM Jazz pickups though. A friend (One of the bass players for a local church) has an Affinity in LPB with the same DD pickup rig I picked up, and shielded cavities, and it sounds awesome. No POT upgrades or anything like that, he simply swapped out the Affinity PUs for the DD models, shielded the cavities when he had it apart, and is playing the snot out of it. Kind of scary to hear about noisy DD pickups though... first I heard of that.

18. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    My DD are not noisy in the least bit. I'm just saying if I was gonna upgrade I'd get the real deal. They can be had for around 100 bucks and are everything the DD are but better.

19. ^^ Can't say if the noise can be directly traced to the pups. When i swapped the pups, I went full monty - changed the mini pots with full-sized CTS ones, replaced the stock caps and jack with orange drops and Switchcrafts, respectively, and got aftermarket bridge and tuners - all in one sitting.

20. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Two things that have caused this issue for me:

- Dimmer switches - I get buzz through my pickups when the dimmer is on. It might not even have to be in the same room, but go around and turn them all off if you have them.

- Are you using any pedals? I've had pedals that always gave me this noise issue whenever they were in the chain.