1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Jazz ground noise, then not, then again, then not..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big Hoss, Mar 28, 2015.

1. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

To be fair, if I walked out of a store today with a brand new Fender I would not be surprised if it required shielding, even if it was a Custom Shop.

2. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

I understand there are numbers of these that do just this, the cause is known, it is also not a desired or normal behavior. Assuming the Reverse wound / reverse polarity fix is as simple as it seems on the production end of things, ANY additional cost would be negligible compared to consumer ill will and the impacts on sales from people saying a collective "ewwwww" in reaction to the quality of your instruments...

Again, I TOTALLY understand cost cutting measures, but this seems that if indeed this is considered normal behavior for a Jazz Bass, then the cost cutting has gone too far... Kind of like the Pinto gas tank cost cutting...

3. Find the source of the noise......post # 71......might just be a real strong source that nothing will really fix, other than shutting it off....but do check pickups, and do shield.

4. Big Hoss

That's my plan! I kind of wanted to iron out the issue before dumping added funds into the instrument. Mind you, in all honesty, let's assume the Duncan Designed pickups are set up right (Will do the magnet test as soon as the come in, tracking says they are close!). I am figuring IF I go with the following rig...

DD pickups, Shielded pickup, and control cavities, including making danged sure the bridge is grounded, and upgraded CTS pots / jack, make certain all is connected right, the hum issue should be a thing of the past correct?

mrb327 likes this.
  5. It's not hum. It's buzz- different problem. We know your bridge is grounded. All of the fixes you're suggesting may solve it, but might not. Again, it may be there's a very strong source in that room. Like, stronger than you're likely to find most places. Find it and shut it off. That may actually be the best solution. Just do it. Do it now.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  6. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    100%

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

This is not a cost cutting measure, this was expected operation from day one. This would be expected with a Precision Bass as well. I have heard the hum referred to as "the Fender hiss" plenty, although the issue is not limited to Fender. If anything, Fender does a better job shielding since 2008 then they ever have. They just still suck at shielding.

As far as the polarity of your pickups goes, they are single-coil pickups and they are functioning as they are supposed to. There is nothing wrong with them from what I can gather based off the information you've provided.

I am not telling you not to take it in, by all means try and get it fixed under warranty. I am just saying that in my experience, most techs and many companies, particularly Fender, do not recognize RF interference as an issue. I have met several techs who think there is nothing that can even be done for the issue. From what I read on TB, that is a pretty common response from techs, sadly.

You do not need to swap the electronics to remedy the issue, just properly shield them with the material of your choice.

8. Big Hoss

Okay, I have copper foil tape ordered to do the shielding. I am still taking it in. I can't imagine how this could be considered "normal" operation. And no, passive P's don't do this.... At least the Squier PJ I used to have that I played in the same room years ago never did, nor do either of my Active Ibanezes... Even when I roll all the way to just the single Jazz pickup which I assume are single coil. Not sure how they eliminate the buzz, but the did...

9. Big Hoss

DiabolusInMusic, I sure wish you had a before and after audio sample of a Jazz bass you shielded to verify we are both talking the same issue.

10. DiabolusInMusic

I have had to shield countless Fender and Squier passive P basses, it is expected operation. A P bass bucks 60hz hum, it does not naturally buck RF interference. Pop open the cavity and take a look, you will find some conductive paint, it will probably be missing in areas, and it probably will not be connected to ground. It is a poopie job. Prior to 2008, and all current period-correct re-issues, you would have seen nothing in any cavity. Some modern Squiers/Fenders actually manage to get the shielding to work, but they are in the minority of Fender's production basses. Go into your local GC and crank and amp gain and volume, start plugging in basses and leaving your hands off the strings. You will be shocked at how many have hum, a hum that stops when you touch metal/strings/bridge.

Your active Ibanez are probably using fully active systems, which do not require shielding. The single jazz pickup is probably a humbucker or you are not getting 60hz, which I find to be less prevalent that RF interference. I never get 60hz hum at practice or at home even with basses that are susceptible to it, good environments. As I mentioned earlier, you cannot compare hum across two different pickups. As much as it seems like "they are both pickups" they are very different.

11. DiabolusInMusic

Your noise stops when you touch metal/strings/bridge. We have established this much as fact. The issue is RF interference and the solution is proper shielding. I do not mean to come off as rude, as I often do, but I am not speculating on the issue and solution here. I am telling you with 100% certainty that this is the issue and the remedy.

marko138 likes this.
  12. Big Hoss

No doubt I will be doing a Shielding job very soon. Just wanting to insure I am tackling everything I should while I have the cavity open is all...

13. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Why would a P Bass pickup buck 60Hz but not other RF noise? Common mode rejection is not frequency specific.

14. DiabolusInMusic

Humbuckers do not buck RF interference, only 60hz hum. They are two different buzzes/hums/issues. I cannot give you the science behind it, sorry, but I am sure some other member can.

15. DiabolusInMusic

Shielding is the only necessary thing you have to do, anything else is for your own preference. I would live with the single coils for a while after shielding, see if you really want to change them. If you are a both pickups on full type of guy, keep the single coils since you will not notice a benefit anyways.

16. not sure if this was said, but pull the bridge and make sure the grounding wire is making good contact. that was the issue on my affinity.

17. Big Hoss

Dead silent tonight. No change in config.

18. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    RF issue.

I had to shield my Am Std.

Shield it (like the sticky, with the star ground strap and all) swap the parts and don't look back

19. Big Hoss

Continuity tests fine between bridge and sleeve.

20. Big Hoss

Turned on lights, fans etc... still dead silent. Errant noise wise. So where is that RFI coming from?