1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Jazz ground noise, then not, then again, then not..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big Hoss, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Next time it shows up do what I told you to do in post 71.

2. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Because there's nothing wrong with your bass. Don't bother calling Fender. Just shield it and play it.

3. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Tested again 6 a.m. and again at noon. Still quiet.

I did that check thing David Jayne talked about last time it was noisy and all points to the end of a 20' cable were same.

Planning on shielding once the tape comes in.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

It could be environmental but it could be the shielding in there actually made contact, hard to say without popping it open and checking. If it is working, I am reluctant to open anything. I would be surprised if it did not come back.

In order to ensure it is 100% gone, crank every knob on the bass, crank your amp gain and volume. Carefully take your fingers on and off the strings/bridge/metal, see if there is any change. The reason I say to do this carefully is that you may be in danger of popping a speaker with this much juice.

5. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    That is not the case. Any noise induced in one coil is canceled by the same noise induced in the other. It is not frequency specific. It's not perfect because there is spatial variability in electric fields and the two coils cannot occupy the same space, but for coils right next to each other it is pretty good. It works a bit less well for two separate single coil pickups and/or if the coils are not matched.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I do not know the science behind it but I do know with 100% certainty that a humbucker does not buck RF interference, it only bucks 60hz hum. They are two different issues with two different remedies. Humbuckers will not do anything for RF interference and shielding will do nothing for 60hz.

If the hums were not affected differently why doesn't 60hz hum stop when you touch metal/strings/bridge like RF interference does?

7. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Where do you get that 100% certainty if you don't understand how it works? I know the science behind common mode rejection and it is not frequency specific.

8. DiabolusInMusic

Well, I have had to shield countless humbuckers, since they were getting either RF interference or static electricity discharge pops, and listened to pickup makers recommend shielding with humbuckers. I have isolated 60hz and RF issues regularly, I have solved the issue everytime, the solutions are different for each issue. I do not know if they are different in theory but I do know that for our purposes, bass guitar electronics, they are two separate issues with two separate solutions.

9. Big Hoss

Well, the hum comes and goes, it seems to fluctuate depending on, oddly enough, whether my next door neighbors are home or not...

Gotta wonder what the heck is running over there.

10. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Likely a single phase 208v motor (heater or ac). Those generate a ton of 60 Hz RF

11. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Wow, that's kinda wild.

12. but did you pull the bridge and check?

13. DiabolusInMusic

You properly shielded the bass and you are still getting this hum?

14. as of thursday he was still waiting on shielding tap to come in the mail

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  15. DiabolusInMusic

Durrr... good call. The intermittent hum you get OP, is it still stopped by touching metal/strings/bridge? If so, do not worry about it, it will be remedied with the shielding.

16. Big Hoss

Shielding supplies on the way. Gonna gather up my mod supplies and do it all.

17. Big Hoss

If I have testable continuity between the bridge and the ring, why would I remove the bridge to check again? I have already proven I have electrical continuity... Is there anything to be gained by pulling the bridge and verifying again?

18. well in my case the wire was touching the bridge but not held in place, so sometimes it would be good contact other times it would be no contact. you could have easily tested continuity while it was touching. its five screws, basically there is no reason not to check under the hood. you easily could have yanked the ground wire loose while playing under the pick guard.

why are you so resistant to checking easy fixes out?

19. Big Hoss

Not resistant, just trying to understand. Sorry if it seems resistant...

In case you haven't caught the new thread. I am opting, since I am going to be fishing around in the pickups / bridge etc... to do the shielding job, to perform my desired upgrades as well. I am covering that in a build thread separate from this, and yes, I WILL be grounding the snot out of the bridge...

Tailoring a Squier Affinity Jazz Bass... My build thread. | TalkBass.com

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  20. There's no point. We know it works because when the noise is present, touching the strings/bridge stops it.