1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Jazz ground noise, then not, then again, then not..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big Hoss, Mar 28, 2015.

1. So did mine.

2. Then that wasn't your problem, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

3. Phew, that's a low off my mind.

4. Dwaynie....The OP states clearly that touching the strings/bridge ALWAYS kills the noise. Not sometimes, always. It's a shielding issue.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  5. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Interesting twist to the whole schmear...

Last night I received a pair of Musicians Gear 20' right angle one end, straight other end tweed jacket instrument cables. I got them because I don't like the way the cables stick straight up out of the top of my combo amp, no other reason. I replaced the Fender 10' Silicone jacket cable with it, and played, on and off, but played for about 2 hours over the course of the evening.

Signal chain is instrument, AXL 15' tweed jacket straight / straight cable, Digitech BP50, Musicians Gear 20' tweed jacket straight / 90 degree cable, Fender Rumble 500 combo input.

Dead silence, no hum, no buzz, no nothing, over the course of the entire evening...

Still planning on going through with the shielding project as I am sort of committed to it now, as I have played through with the AXL cable straight between instrument and amp and still had the hum...

Not going to lie, I think even on the value models, to have pickups / cavities unshielded, might be the norm, industry standard, or whatever you want to call it, but IMHO it IS faulty product design and execution... That is something that should be done to even the cheapest instruments, and I mean First Act cheap... I kind of wonder what it would cost them, and what costs would be passed on to the consumer, to do this from the factory...

So for all intents and purposes, by MY definition, my bass will meet the criteria for what it should have been fresh out of the box. Oh well, such is life...

6. Big Hoss

Yes when the noise shows up, I touch anything metal aside from strap pins, but anything touching the grounded circuits, tuners, strings, bridge, control plate etc... Every single time I do, the noise stops immediately. Like turning off a switch.

7. It's fun, and you learn. I just did my VM fretless (in the profile pic) and I'm not sure I can hear much of a difference with the new pickups, and I didn't have a whole lot of noise (I just wanted to improve the shielding and on a bass I cared less about than one in the future where I might have to repeat the process). Either way though I'm really glad I did it, and I think you will be too. Just be sure to ground the shielding - my bass had ground cables screwed into the wood underneath the pickups so I kept those when I removed/replaced everything else (just had to solder them to common ground). Oh, and overall the work is over fairly fast, so take lots of pics for nostalgic reminiscing later!

8. Big Hoss

Photos are forthcoming, and there will be LOTS of testing with the multimeter. Only thing I can't figure out how to verify for 100% certainty is the continuity from the pickup shielding to the ground...

I am documenting this on a build thread at Tailoring a Squier Affinity Jazz Bass... My build thread. | TalkBass.com

9. Big Hoss

Work and family are killing my time to work on the Jazz. What time I have spent with it has been plugged in and playing...

Oddly enough, since those MusiciansGear cables have come in, I have had only one recurrence of the hum, I am SERIOUSLY considering taking the AXL straight cable out of rotation and swapping my second MusiciansGear straight X right anble cable into the space between pedal and instrument...

Going to be the weekend of May 1 before I can even consider working on it. Ick...