1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier Jazz VM '77 pick-up upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassmike62, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

I recently bought a Squier Vintage Modified '77 bass after it simply would not leave my arms in the shop. I absolutely fell in love with its awesome playability and unique amber color !! I added a Hipshot D-tuner, had the "series/paralell" pick-up mod done and also installed a white pearloid pickguard, to match the neck inlays.

The '77 sounds quite good but is lighter and soundwise somewhat hass less "meat" than my natural Squier VM 70s, although they are made of the same soft maple body and maple neck and share the same electronics, according to the Squier website > Shop Fender | Electric Guitars, Acoustics, Bass, Amps & More.

I'm thinking about a pickup change to give it more meat... any recommendation ?

IMG_0187.JPG

2. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Try swap with your VM70 J pickups and see how she sound on your VM77 J.

If i have same situation like you, i will swap the both neck, because i love your VM70J body wood and VM77J neck. Then i will sell the VM70neck/VM77 body combo.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    To maintain a vintage tone, but still get some Jazz Bass oomph, I might try Fender Pure Vintage ‘74s. For a little more beef, I would go with Dimarzio Model J DP123 pickups.

Bassmike62 likes this.
  4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

Hmm... Those Dimarzios look yummy