Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier JV Precision '83

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by contrabassie, Aug 6, 2004.

1. contrabassie

contrabassie

Mar 11, 2003
    Belgium
    I can buy a squier precision from '83. A really good bass they've told me. They are alsking 665 US dollar for it (or 550 euro). Should I do that or should I buy a new japanese reissue?

2. Here in the US, that would be an outrageously high asking price. I would go with the Japanese reissue.

3. From watching what JV Squiers sell for at German Ebay, 550 € seems like an alright price. Not a super deal perhaps, but I've seen JV P-basses sell for more. I, for example, paid around € 600 for mine (which has been refretted by some amateur), and couldn't be happier (or perhaps I could, with better fretwork). Mine is also an '83, and a very light and resonant instrument with a great neck. Don't think I'll ever part with it.
    But, I don't know how I would rate a JV P in relation to a new Japanese Fender. Is there any possibility for you to play both? That's what I'do, before making the ultimate decision. Buying sight unseen is, as I've experienced, not always the best thing to do.
    Still, from what I've gathered, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the two choices of yours. So, good luck.

4. contrabassie

contrabassie

Mar 11, 2003
    Belgium
    I can try the squier. I'm not able to try the japanese fender re. Doesn't squier sound cheap or am I just a ...?

5. Brilliant! Do it. You've got nothing to lose.
    Maybe it does, but you'll probably get over it if you find that you like the way it plays and sounds, and decide to buy it. Don't you think?