1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier jv ????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrickss, Jan 22, 2012.

1. patrickss

patrickss

Dec 12, 2009
    Have the impression the squier jv are over rated. What do you think about the jv serie vs usa jazz bass nor precision

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I have a JV PJ and it's light, resonant and filthy. I would put it up against any MIA Fenders I've owned.

3. i own a J and a P jv, both are great bass guitars!

4. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    Are we talking about the MIJ JV series from the early 80's?

5. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I believe so. Multiman is thinking of the VM Jag. These abbreviations get confusing after awhile......I'd love to have a JV to go along with my SQ, VM and CV. ;)

6. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I own a JV Fender P. Wonderful bass. The only American P I owned I sold to my brother. Here is the difference for me - when I see an old Squier JV, I immediately start crunching numbers in my head to see if I can afford it. With American Fenders, I usually just think, "oh, that's nice", and move on. To each their own, I suppose.

7. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    Most of the "hype" surrounding the JV/SQ instruments are likely fact, since these MIJ instruments are usually regarded more highly than their USA counterparts from the same era. Not always, but usually. IMHO. YMMV.

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    The JV and SQ live up to the hype for sure IMO. From the workmanship to the woods these basses are by far as good and if not better than anything fender US was putting out in those days. In fact I will put my 2 SQ's up to any passive MIA fender P bass from any period... post CBS. I have owned MIA fender P basses and today my 2 full scale basses are only a 83' SQ P and an 84' SQ Bullet.

I am alwyas looking for more with the MIJ 83' Squier JV being the "holy grail" of basses in my radar to find. I have a dealer looking and I hope to find one someday. Hope I have the funds when I do.

9. The Crow Hailer

The Crow Hailer

Jan 20, 2012
    I am in the fortunate position of having played both a seventies American Precision and an early 80s JV serial Squier Precision. I can say that from my experience there is very little differnce between the two models apart from one important one and that is the pick-ups. The JV model played very beautifully and was a professional quality instrument but the pickups were a little thin sounding. I replaced them with some Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound units and then it was an amazing instrument.

JVs have reverse gear tuners which is strange to get used to but no problem, very good quality and similar to a 50s precision I believe. The neck profile was very slim which I liked and the body was very nicely contoured and balanced.

10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Yes the JV's were modeled and taken from the 50's Fender spects so they were RI basses. I never played a JV so I dont know about the pup. My SQ Squier sounds as good as my 78' MIA P I used to have or any other MIA P I have played in the past.

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I do not believe that all JV #'d basses are RI basses. I don't know if many were exported thist way, but they are out there.

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    you looking for a p or a j? brian at the lowend has what looks to be one of the early 80's jv fender jazzes which are a tier up from the squier. havent confirmed it, but by the looks of the parts im thinking it might be.