1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Squier Katana Bass-32 inch Scale 1985 Japan Flying V

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by A-Step-Towards, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Price:
    Strings:
    This is a great playing bass. It's in very nice shape. 32" scale but sounds HUGE. Setup is low and perfect and everything works as it should. There are 2 small chips shown but as most know with V shaped guitars the horns get chipped and dinged, well these ones are perfect, no chips nothing like that. This is a A serial number, 1985 production. Squiers SQ serial numbered instruments are raved about a lot but when they transitioned between the SQ serial numbers and the E serial numbers there was the 1985 A serial number which utilize SQ parts. I had a SQ P bass in terms of build it was identical to any of the other 5 or 6 SQ's I had seen but had a A serial. This as I suspected has the same pickups SQ models have, as you can see in 1 photo it has a brass shield under the pickup, as SQ's did. The bridge is also the same in stamping. This has a super nice neck that feels much like a SQ, has the truss rod adjust at the heel. The bass is all original down to the F capped knobs, which are very rare and lke $25 a piece if you can even find some for sale. Everything is solid on the bass, I have shown the nut had a crack in it, it was glued and is solid. I put stress on the string and it didnt move. As you can see its light and its a V shape so its a little hard to sit down and play, you wouldnt want this to be your only bass, but standing up and playing its fun and sounds just like a P bass, I played some Jimi Hendrix tunes with it in my band and it sounds great. You can see the edges of the body have a bevel which makes it feel nice when playing where you rest your arm, its not sharp feeling. Any dust in the photos will be cleaned prior to shipping, the time of this post is easter sunday and I need to take photos while I have sunlight. I will personally oil the board, polish the frets and wipe down and polish the body before shipment.

Squier MIJ quality, its not secret I like Japanese fenders but I dont have the space to keep them all.

No case but I will pack it well.

$499 shipped conus

Some info online about these

Katana Bass (1985-1986). Squier’s short-lived Katana Bass was released concurrently with Fender’s equally short-lived Katana guitar of 1985-1986. The genesis of both came with the mid-1980s rise of hair metal, during which Fender jumped on the pointy-guitars bandwagon with perhaps the most extraordinarily non-traditional models the company has ever made. Like the Fender and budget Squier Katana guitar models, the Katana Bass was built in Japan and named for that nation’s traditional samurai sword, with an asymmetrical V-shaped body, arrow-shaped headstock and the additional unusual distinction of a medium (32”) scale length. Although actually quite well built, the Katana instruments were not successful, and it didn’t help that they arrived during one of the most tumultuous periods in Fender history. Katana guitar and bass models lasted barely a year; all were gone by late 1986. IMG_20160327_155537846.jpg IMG_20160327_155546756.jpg IMG_20160327_155607491.jpg IMG_20160327_155621587.jpg IMG_20160327_155633466_HDR.jpg IMG_20160327_155645230.jpg IMG_20160327_155651614.jpg IMG_20160327_155658691.jpg IMG_20160327_155704047.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    nagelfoundation likes this.
  2. holy cow holy cow

3. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    Not my style but I like it!

Plus you can spearchuckit at rude fans...

A-Step-Towards likes this.
  4. David Lee

David Lee Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2019
    I know it's been awhile, but is this bass still available?

5. David Lee

Mar 8, 2019
    Sorry, I just saw that it sold.

6. Tyberius420

Tyberius420

Jun 10, 2019
    Canada
    Hey man ive got one (Katana Bass) that has a few more love marks. But sounds great, She needs a good home. Are you still looking?

7. David Lee

Mar 8, 2019
    Yes, I’m still looking. Can you post send me a PM with a pic?