Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier knobs that have fallen off

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by woot, May 2, 2003.

1. woot

woot

Nov 16, 2002
    The volume knob has fallen off of my Squier P bass, and I was wondering how I could put it back on. Glue? It seems like the only way...

Thanks for your help. :)

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Get new ones with a set screw.
    Or drill a set screw hole in the knob.
    Silicone would be good since it won't permanently bond the knob to the shaft (OH, thats a bad phrase).

3. holderman

holderman

May 25, 2000
    Isn't there a slot at the top of the shaft that you can enlarge with a flat screwdriver or something so it holds the knob better?

4. woot

woot

Nov 16, 2002
    How exactly does the screw in the knob work? Does the screw head go into the side of the pot, so that when you turn the knob, it pulls the pot rotationally along with it?
    Oh and thanks for the replies! :D

Oh yeah, if I were to use some non permanant fixative, where would I apply it on?

5. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    you can pry open the slot in the potentiometer(pot) so it holds the nob tighter or you can buy a set of nobs that have a screw on the side(some are hex keys some are slot type screws)but you also will need an additional brass sleeve that slides over the pot shaft to make it round,because regular push on knobs require a grooved type shaft and screw type nobs need the round surface pot shafts if you dont add this sleeve (cost is 2.00$)the nobs with the screws in the side will wobble on the shaft and not do a good job. they sell them on ebay(nobs and brass sleeve)fairly cheap:bassist: