Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier MB-4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ndjx, Jan 5, 2002.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I tried this bass at Schmitt and as far as feeling wise it was great I just wanna know if any of you know how the sound/tone of this bass is? I've been playing for awhile and as far as playability goes it beats all the basses there even the more expensive ones(the others being Dean, Peavey, Fender, Washburn). Anyone? :confused:

2. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    there was a post regarding this very same bass just a couple of days ago...
    try a search... that thread may or may not help you.
    good luck.

3. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    any others?

4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i havent played an MB-4, but i did play a couple jazz combo gigs on a friends MB-5 (didnt have my own 5 stringer yet) the bass played ok, but the tone was absolutly horrid. something between a musical fart and a turbodeisel. i can see how it would work for regge or anything that requires that muddy sound; but for jazz, rock, or anything that needs to cut through it was very inadequate. on the plus side the bass was very solidly built (i think it may have been a fender model though) and took to modding well when my friend got sick of the tone. new pickups helped a ton.

5. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Stock electronics in the MB-4 & 5 are absolute crap. I bought a MB-4 and gutted out the pots and pickups and the tone improved tremendously. Love that flatter 12" radius fingerboard.