Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier MB-5 For A Starter?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Head Creep, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm planning on getting my first bass this Thursday, and I'm now giving serious consideration to getting a 5-string bass instead of a 4-string. I know that sooner or later I'll want more than 4 strings, so it seems like I should just go for the 5 strings now rather than later, after I've gotten used to 4 strings.

The problem is, it seems hard to find a 5 string bass in my price range, which is $200 and under. The Squier is the only one I've found that fits this price (there's the Rogue LX205B, but I don't think they sell those at brick and mortar stores, which I'll be buying from), but I'm not sure if it's really what I should get. Would I be better off putting the money into an Ibanez or Yamaha 4-string and saving my money for when I want a 5-string later on? Or should I learn on what I'll most likely end up using in the future? Keep in mind, I'm 16 years old, so I don't forsee myself having much money to put down on a whole other bass for the next year and a half or so, or longer since I'll be upgrading to the status of a money-strapped college student.

Thanks for all the help. Because I stumbled across this place, I'm learning quite a bit about the hardware side of bass playing, as well as that deal on the Hartke 1400 (which is now making its way over to my house).

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    They are a reasonable 5 string starter bass. You might also look at the Peavey Millenium and the Yamaha RBX series 5 strings as well.

4. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'll check out the Peavey, if I can negotiate at least $20 off what seems to be the going price ($240). And it looks a hell of a lot nicer than the Squier. Thanks for the recommendation.

As for Rondo, I'm going to buy in store so that I can get a feel for what I like and dislike in a bass. Maybe on down the line I'll buy one from there, but not this time.

5. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    After looking into it, it really doesn't seem like a 5-string bass is a good idea for my budget. I can pick up an OLP for the same price and, over time, pick up the parts to upgrade it into something very good and worthwhile. If I'm wrong please correct me, but it seems smarter to buy a solid 4-string bass that'll last me a good amount of time rather than a cheap 5-string that I'll be looking to replace relatively soon.

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    You may still want to look at the Peavey and Yamahas as they have a lot of value in that price range as do Ibanez and Squire.

7. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I just got an OLP MM-3 from Guitar Center, $250. It felt great compared to everything else in that price range, sounded good, and looks good too. The pictures online make it look fugly, but the OLP's look nice in person. Now I just gotta figure out how to tune this damn 5th string, since the tuner I have lying around can't handle a 5-string bass...

8. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Looks like you chose well. I've heard that those are very decent for the price, and just plain decent basses in general. I tried one of the 4 stingers and really seriously thought about buying it. I'm too much a glutton for used stuff though, I always seem to find older and cheaper stuff I like and go with that.

Fret that B string at the 5th fret and tune 'er up man!