1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier MB-5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know this is a really cheap bass, but in the last week I have played two, and I think they would make a great project bass for anyone so inclined. The ones I have played have weak pickups, and are noisy, but they also are very light, easy to play, have decent string spacing, and get a decent jazz sound. If you crank the amp, they can even get into Marcus Miller slap territory.

I would love to play one with good pickups, a good setup, and maybe a new bridge. I bet it would be one killer J-style bass.

2. This thread has died, any other opinions on this?

D.Don

3. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I had an MB-4 back in the mid-90's when they were a part of the Fender line. I loved that bass and wish I still had it. It was very light and easy to play. I didn't make any mods to mine.

4. I had one of the Japanese Fender made ones. It was a great bass but the string spacing was WAY too tight.

5. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I got an MB-5 back in 1996 as my first five-stringer. Over time I made a number of mods to it, namely replacing the pickups and electronics and making a few other enhancements to give it a more upmarket feel. Now it's pretty much relegated to backup status as I prefer a wider string spacing and better ergonomics, but still is fun to play and brings back memories of my college days. Still a very capable bass and it served me very well.

Lonnybass

6. elpezpr

elpezpr

Feb 7, 2008
    PR
    Hi. I recently bought a MB-5. It's a very nice bass. It's light and has an easy to play neck. The sound is very good for a $240 bass. This bass will be my project. It has control cavity so it won't be too hard to mod. I will add a Badass V and change the tuners. Can you guys recommend a preamp. Im looking for a Passive/Active - High/Low EQ - Pan preamp that will fit the bass. Also I would like to know wich pickups will fit this bass.

MB-5.gif

Thanks

7. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I was able to get the EMG J5 with the stacked BTC into mine. A fairly straightforward upgrade. The trickiest part was enlarging the tone hole to fit the wider pot.

Lonnybass

8. elpezpr

elpezpr

Feb 7, 2008
    PR
    Thanks

9. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    Lonnybass, how is the B string on that bass?

10. elpezpr

elpezpr

Feb 7, 2008
    PR
    Here a little demo:

mb-5.mp3 - 3.44MB

-Both Pickups/Tone Open
    -Neck Pickup/Tone Open
    -Bridge Pickup/Tone Open
    -Both Pickups/Tone Closed
    -Neck Pickup/Tone Closed
    -Bridge Pickup/Tone Closed
    -More Neck/Halfway Tone

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021