1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier MII 2002 Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frazzled, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Frazzled

Frazzled

Mar 8, 2016
    So I bought one of these many moons ago for $100. The thing seems to work pretty well, and plays nicely through the 500-watt head I use at church. It seems to have some minor fret buzz, and a bit of noise when I don't keep my hands on the strings. I can live with this because it sees to play really well, except the low E which sounds kinda farty.

Anyone have/had on of these, and if so, did you do any mods to it? I was thinking new pups and pots (don'tknow which kind but leaning toward GFS since they are much cheaper than other types, and by reading rh forum, the quality seems ok).

Mine has the PJ setup, so I'd need to replace both sets of pickups.

Amd I wasting my time on this? Or should I trade it in on something better?

2. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
    I have one that I never play anymore. It was my first bass. It's the 2002 anniversary edition. The tone is noisy so I roll the tone all the way off. You can still get $80-$100 for this bass so I would honestly sell it and get something better instead of spending a lot of money on upgrades.

fuzzycatfish likes this.
  3. Frazzled

Frazzled

Mar 8, 2016
    I've been thinking the same thing...but I'm not sure I have the cash yet to make the upgrade. Also, I'd like to get into a 5-string instead of a 4. A lots of the tunes we do are tuned down a step or 2, and thus I need that extra low note or two (or I have to go up an octave, which just doesn't sound right to me).

What are some decent 5-strings that don't break the bank - e.g.go over $300, since I cna probably still get around $100 for this one. Or am I smoking crack tot think I can get that much?

4. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015

Attached Files:

5. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
  6. Frazzled

Frazzled

Mar 8, 2016
    So that's a Squire too...any concerns with that, or is it because it is newer and a 5-string that makes this a good deal? It certainly is a pretty one.

What about ESP 5 strings? Any good? They sound like that have a lot of bite which is not quite what I an looking for. I realize this isn't a true Fender...but does it compare in sound? Am I going to need to upgrade anything, like the bridge or tuners or pickups?

7. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
    The only one I have any real knowledge of is the Squier Jaguar. And I'm a brand new player (7 months now). So I don't have a perfect ear for everything. But the Jaguar is an active bass and sounds the best of any bass I own. I haven't upgraded a thing on it. Mine is totally stock. It gets lots of good reviews here for being a really good bass in that price range. I would listen to some Youtube videos or even go to Guitar Center and play one in person.

8. Frazzled

Frazzled

Mar 8, 2016
    So no offense to broke, because I am a relatively new player as well. What do some of the vets here think? I've read a ton of threads about Essex basses, the new Squires (Jaguars in particular), and also looked at some of the Warwick Rockbass models. I gig on bass 2-3 times a month, so it would get some use. I just want something that will help me get better, and I know practice, practice, practice is the best bet, but I also know from playing guitar for 35 years that a crappy guitar makes practice that much more difficult.

9. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe basses are the best bang for the buck. Get them properly setup and get a set of strings that suit your taste. Don't need any mods at all.

When you earn some more money, gather more experience, and spend more hours in talkbass, you will surely want to try other options, Fender, Gibson, Lakland, Sadowsky... but for now a high end Squier is all you need.

10. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
    You should watch Craigslist also and this website. There are some great deals here and nice people. I found this Sub on my local CL for $225

Stingray 5 ray5 bass sub ernieball

[​IMG]

I bought this one from CL a few months ago and it's my regular player now. Bought it for $250:

20160116_144144_zpsx0xopyxd.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    DOMIT and jd56hawk like this.
  11. Frazzled

Frazzled

Mar 8, 2016
    Outstanding advice. One last question (I think). What about Essex basses? I've read the threads (there are a lot of them) about these. Some love 'em, some hate 'em. What is the general opinion? The reason I ask is there is a nice 5-string on CL that I could see myself getting into, and it is $110 or best offer. Here's a pic of it. Are these things worth anything? Not trying to get away cheap, but I do want something good. If the newer Squires are the bomb, I'll trade in my old 4 string (or keep it) and get into the Squier Jaguar or similar.

Attached Files:

12. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
    I don't know anything about them. And you are trying to get away cheap. You said it already in your 2nd post here. And there isn't anything wrong with that. That's what I was going for on my very first purchase also. I just don't think you're going to get something "good" for $100. It will be serviceable but not "good". I personally think "good" starts out around the $200 mark in a retail store. If you have a Guitar Center close, go, play the Jaguars, play the Ibanez, and whatever else they have. Then make your decision or at a minimum rule some stuff out. We've given you as much info we can on a forum with words written down. It's up to you to find out what you like when it comes to tone, playability, etc. Let us know what you decide.

13. Frazzled

Frazzled

Mar 8, 2016
    Good enough...time to go play a few and see what I like. Who knows...my luthier may say the one I have is worth to keep it, and I'll need a 5-string to boot.

14. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
    Play as many as you can that appeal to you. And hopefully someone with knowledge of the other basses you mentioned pops in.

15. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    There are plenty of Squier P-Basses that are absolutely fine instruments. I use my 3 for gigs regularly without fail. They work well, they need little maintenance, and they are extremely cost effective. The first thing I would do is have a proper set up and cleaning (roughly $40-$50). This will improve the feel immensely. If after having it set up and cleaned there are still issues with the sound, before dropping money on new pups, replace the wiring/pots/caps. I have done this with all my players and the tone is changed considerably for the better. You can get a top notch wiring kit for between $25-$30, add in an hour of soldering time and you have a much improved bass for much less than the purchase of a new one.

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

If you like active you might consider a Sire 5-string. Incredible bang for the buck.

Note: I've been broke more often than I've been flush. And I learned the hard way very early on that you can easily spend a grand or more in $100 chunks over a year or two buying pedals and new pups to try to get a certain sound you're after - and usually not succeed. Or you can bite the bullet and keep working with what you've already got, and save up what you might have spent otherwise. Then use that money to get what you should've bought in the first place.

Bottom line: net savings of a few hundred (or more) and a lot of wasted time.

tl;dr - Patience, and saving up, works in your favor every single time.

17. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I got my Peavey Millennium BXP (used) from GC for a little over $100 (that includes shipping). It had some fret buzz and other little annoyances. I paid another $60 to have my regular guy do the set-up. Now it plays as smooth as butter. It's what I use to play at church. So what I'm saying is, the values are out there if you're patient.

However, in the OPs case, I'd go with the a 5-string from Rondo (Rondo Music 5 String Basses), and then have it set-up. I repeat, invest in a set-up. I think this is one of the cheapest ways to get a solid gigging 5-string.

And after I posted, I read this: SX Ursa 2 MN Ash NA 5 String Bass B Stock - RondoMusic.com

Rondo is very good on returns. I don't know their policy on B stock items. But for $99, it seems like a steal.

Frazzled, you say you have some fret buzz that you can live with, which sounds to me like you didn't have your bass set-up. If you can find a pro to do your set-up, it is definitely worth the money to have it done. The way your bass will feel and play will be fantastic. I've told this story perhaps too many times, but it's what has me sold on the idea. I bought an Ibanez SR300 and had my guy do the set-up. Then I took it to my friend's house to jam. This guy plays super expensive guitars and has his own home recording studio. He loved the bass, and thought that I payed at least $800 for it. Then I took it to church, and the main bassist played it. He's a fantastic player, and has been playing for at least 40 years. He loved it. He said, "it's amazing how good of a bass you can get for $600 these days." They were both blown away when I told them it's a $300 bass with a good set-up. It's a wise investment.

18. Frazzled

Frazzled

Mar 8, 2016
    I bit the bullet and got the Squier Dimension Deluxe V last night for $250. It is beautiful and the tone possibilities are amazing.

Attached Files:

wintremute likes this.
  19. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Nice choice. Can't go wrong with that, expecially if you're a fan of the single MM pickup concept. Enjoy it.