1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier Modifications - Show me.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GreggBummer, Mar 17, 2008.

1. I was reading the "Why does everyone hate Squiers" thread and it seems that most players are consistent with the idea that the average Squier can be owner modified into a better instrument.

I own a Squier Standard Jazz (made in Indonesia) bass that I really like. I used it as a back up bass, although for the past few months I have just been bringing it to rehearsal. I have a nice Ken Rose 5 String, but the music I have been playing in the band doesn't really call for it.
    As far as the Squier J, I am going to upgrade it, but not in the immediate future. I am curious to see what the TB community has done to their basses. New bridges? Pups? What kind? Paint job?

I have considered sanding the neck to make it "faster".
    I have considered putting a new bridge on it, if I find a good one cheap on ebay.
    I will put new pups on it... passive. But not sure what kind. I want to improve the sound, but not move away from the old school jazz sound.

So, I know you guys and girls are out there... lets see and hear about what you have done to your Squier.

BTW: I am not a brand name focused guy. I don't care who's name is on the headstock- if it sounds good, run with it.

2. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    IMG_0018.

Only cosmetic, but I think it looks pretty neat. I had bought a SD Quarter Pounder to put in it, but ended up dropping it in an Ibanez instead :)

3. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    neck tint,new tuners, and bridge cover on this TB

IMG_3445.

4. Bass002-2.

Modified with DiMarzio DP127,new bridge and now has a 'Fender' Amp logo on the side of the body.

5. That is a very nice looking bass... I wish I had mine in red :(

Looks great.

6. IMO - Lindy Fralin pups and Chrome flatwounds.

7. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I went a little overboard.. Only thing left that it was a Squier Vintage Modified is the bodyand bridge..

Stripped and painted in Nitrocellulose Lacquer
    New Pickguard
    New Tuners
    New Control Plate
    New Knobs
    New Tuners
    New String Tree
    New Neck Plate
    Nordstrand NJ4 Pickups..

[​IMG]

8. Ok... maybe you went overboard- but how's it sound? Looks great. I like the color. Classy.

9. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    Hmmm, lets see...

I defretted it and gave it white fret lines, replaced all chrome hardware with black (bridge is now Badass V), routed the body and put in Carvin soapbar pickups, installed straplocks, installed a thumbrest, made a new nut (for my extra heavy strings), fully shielded the control cavity, removed the neck plate and drilled and installed black neck screw bushings, put my Cliff Burton logo on the headstock (above the Squier logo, I'm not too proud to show "Squier"....

I think that's all so far. I'm planning on either going passive and throwing a pair of Q-Tuners in it or upgrading the preamp and staying active.

10. mookie stinks

mookie stinks Banned

Feb 15, 2008
    i have a 92 squier P, maybe 91 i cant remember........ anyway, the pots were scratchy and turning without stopping - so i took that and went wacky crazy with mods.

new 500k fender pots - the large diam ones.
    SD 1/4 pounders
    all new wiring and jack
    badass bridge
    neck clean/polish and fret check
    setup by local shop.

its my main bass - well, i have the new ameri stand P but the squier kills it !

i have another squier and i want to eventually do somethings to that one - maybe a gotoh bridge, different pickups and pots. the necks on all mine are great - i wont mess with them.

its SO EASY to mod squiers with all the replacements out there. everything is pretty much ''drop in''. and if you have a solder iron you can do the pots and pickups and really up the quality/sound of yer axe!:bassist::bassist::bassist:

11. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i sold mine.

12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I have a Squier VM Jazz, and I had some 5% overwound, steel pole-piece Lindy Fralin pickups laying around from another project, so I put them in it -- great improvement in sound.

I also swapped out the bridge for a Badass II (black), put in some new hipshot ultralite tuners, black string tree, black PG screws, and black knobs.

I'm also upgrading the shielding and replacing the pots and wiring. Basically, by the time it's done, the only original parts will be the neck, the body, and the pickguard.

IMG_0706.

The nice thing about the bass is that it plays and sounds as good as an MIA Fender, yet the Squier logo doesn't scream "steal me." Obviously the mods weren't cheap, but it really turned out to be an incredibly nice sounding and playing bass, without really looking like one. It's the perfect bass to take to a gig at a sketchy location. :p

13. That bass looks great! :bassist:

14. vgbob

vgbob

Jan 15, 2007
    I have a VM fretless, which I replaced the bridge
    and wiring, plus shielded and grounded. The SD
    designed pickups are OK, so not going to replace
    them. I have put a set of Dimarzio Jazz in another
    bass and would do that if I felt the stock pups
    needed to be replaced. The bridge was just 'nice
    to do'. The pots and wiring really helped. The
    originals were terrible, and it had the usual single
    coil hum, which is now under control.

15. Siegy

Siegy

Jun 28, 2007
    Central Neb.
    [​IMG]

It's an Affinity P. I changed out the pickguard and pups with new ones from guitarfetish, they work rather well i must say. And I added two electrical tape stripes to cover up a ding about the size of my fingernail.

16. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    looks cool man im probs getting a squier vm p bass in the next 4 months! any body modded one of them was thinking i might get some new pups and leave it at that? oh and a hipshot detuner!

17. LanEvo

LanEvo Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    No need to swap pickups at first. The stock "Duncan Designed" ones sound pretty nice. The big bottleneck lies in the crappy pots/wiring/cap/jack. Swap out those parts, shield the control cavity, and you're good to go.

Besides that, the bridge is pretty chintzy (like most Fenders). A $30 Gotoh 201 takes care of that. The tuners are kind of imprecise and have quite a bit of lash. I swapped in some old Gotoh GB7's I had on hand. They don't look "right," but they work. The nut on my VM Fretless was fine, but I've heard others complain about theirs. I can't comment on fretwork for the obvious reason :meh:

The only other thing I did was give the bass a proper set-up. My neck pitch was WAY off...but a small shim took care of that in no time. I find the neck isn't as stable as the one in my old Jazz (an original 1972). It needs more frequent truss-rod adjustments. Feels like the maple is still a bit green to me.

18. mfbolton

mfbolton Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Has anybody put an Audere preamp contol plate on a VM fretless?

19. steve21

steve21 Banned

Refinished by Pat Wilkins
    New J-bass neck
    Hipshot Ultralites + A D-Tuner that I'm STILL waiting for (**** Hipshot when they're stuff isn't in stock)
    Badass II
    EMG P Pickup wired straight to jack
    New white pearl pickguard

Once I get some $ and the D-tuner arrives, I'm giving her a pro setup and rocking out. Anybody in LA know a place that will give her a ridiculously good setup (action so low you can breath on it and it'll fret, but still buzz free) for a good price? I've had poor luck with Westwood Music in the past, so don't suggest that please. And post-setup it'll have pics.

20. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    thanks for the heads up man! i be sure to post a pic went i get it!