Squier Musicmaster bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by j0llysnowman, Dec 10, 2015.

1. j0llysnowman

j0llysnowman

Jan 28, 2013
  2. j0llysnowman

j0llysnowman

Jan 28, 2013
    bump?

3. My bronco intimates fine with the stock bridge. The right strings will make a big difference.

4. I seem to remember there were kits available on eBay that included the bridge plus the string thru ferrules that need to be installed.

I find the stock Bronco bridge to work fine, but to each their own. Just know that the musicmaster bridge requires some work to install.

5. j0llysnowman

j0llysnowman

Jan 28, 2013
    They don't show up on eBay anymore, as far as I can tell. I've tried a couple sets of strings so far, and am having a hard time getting the E string to intonate. The saddle is pulled back almost all the way! D and G are ok, but if I get A correct, E is still a few cents sharp at the 12th fret.

Current strings are D'Addario Pro Steels, 45-100.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Practically speaking, do you play the E string up by the 12th fret much? I never do. I rarely go above the 5th fret on the E, only going as high as the 7th fret on the E for one song and I frequently avoid that by playing that B note on the A string.

With my 2 saddle and stick bridges I get the A/D/G strings well intonated. Since I don't really play the E string up high I'm not as particular about the E string, but it's usually close enough that I don't worry about it.

One thing that really helps me with intonation is setting good witness points at the nut and saddle.

BTW, I noticed on my recent Bronco that the bridge is placed a bit closer to the neck than on my earlier Bronco.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  7. j0llysnowman

j0llysnowman

Jan 28, 2013
    Even A and B on that string are pretty sharp. Recently, I've been wondering if my nut is cut too high - as in, is F sharp, too? If so, then maybe it's my nut. Too bad I'm not near my bass at all...

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The nut being too high is a possibility. I've had to adjust the nut on production instruments.

RE: The E/A saddle on your Bronco being so far back on the bridge plate...I currently have three Broncos and I just measured the bridge placement. The bridge locations are 8-3/4" (newer) to 9-1/8" (older) measured from the end of the neckpocket to the front of the bridge plate. What's the measurement on your's?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  9. j0llysnowman

j0llysnowman

Jan 28, 2013
    8-3/4"! Damn!

This isn't enough of a problem that I'm willing to shell out for a Hipshot bridge, or go through the effort of scooting original bridge 1/4", but I'd definitely pay $30 for a Vista Musicmaster bridge if they still existed :(

Goy77 likes this.
  10. Goy77

Goy77

Feb 28, 2017
    Ohio
    I'm working on a Bronco project as well and want that vista mm bridge as well! Stock one won't do.. I can't even find a mustang bridge "***" Fender?! Anyone know what options are currently available if we want individual string intonation on our Bronco and musicmasters??

11. Goy77

Goy77

Feb 28, 2017
    Ohio
    bump WHERE ARE THESE BRIDGES?!

12. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021