1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier MusicMaster Vista Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MakoMan, Aug 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Tedthebed

Tedthebed

Jan 28, 2019

It’s definitely subtle. It’s weird overtones that are slightly out of tune with the fundamental. If I have time I’ll make another recording because it’s definitely gotten worse since I tried to adjust the string by unstringing and restringing.

It’s most audible with distortion and picking, but when I’m playing clean finger style and I go down to the E string, it just sounds a little off. Like it’s out of tune with itself ever so slightly. Basically just doesn’t sound very good compared to the other strings. Reads totally in tune on a tuner.

I seem to have good bass output, so still praying there’s nothing wrong with the pickup. Chromes are in the mail, so I’ll try those in a couple days and update. Thank you for your thoughts! When I restring I will try to examine the nut as best I can.

2. halfwound121

halfwound121 Supporting Member

I'll chime in because you mentioned the E string wraps around the post before the start of the silk. Flat wound strings are more fragile in this situation than rounds because it distorts the outer coil. That makes them prone to breaking, especially if you play fast and hard with a medium or heavy plastic pick. Although the tone of the E and A will always differ on the same note, if that difference has changed to your ear then most likely the E string has started breaking inside the outer coil. Unfortunately, you can only test this by changing both E and A strings and doing the same comparison. The nut cracking is next on the probability scale, and I think an issue with the pickup is the lowest. Your info does not indicate where you live, could your bass have gotten very cold since you last played it? Anyway, your plan to go with Chromes is probably the cure. Buy medium scale due to the through-body bridge.

MakoMan and Tedthebed like this.
  3. Bourbongangster

Bourbongangster

Nov 5, 2015
    Ok I just listened to the clip. I should have listened to it before I started posting completely random suggestions. Question for you if you don't mind humoring me here: Is this the first bass you've owned with a single coil pickup that has one polepiece per string?

4. Tedthebed

Tedthebed

Jan 28, 2019
    This is actually the first bass I’ve owned period, though I’ve played many for decent amounts of time. More than, say, checking them out a shop; I mean actually playing them at a gig or session. They’re have been a couple Mexican ps and Js, my friends fleabass, a different friends rick, and a vintage EB-1 at a studio I worked at. I’m not sure, but thinking back I don’t think any of those do have single pole piece pickups. Maybe the pbasses? I’m not super well versed in bass pickups. This is the first time I’ve heard something like this, though I’ve done quite a deep dive considering it’s actually something I’ve purchased. May not have been this discerning in the past.

More and more it’s just sounding like a dying string issue to me. So hopefully will be resolved soon.

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions! This group is so wholesome!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    MakoMan likes this.
  5. Bourbongangster

Bourbongangster

Nov 5, 2015
    Good job on doing your homework to figure out what you like! Here's where I'm going with this. I kinda recently got a bass with similar pickups, and it was my first time having one like that. And for some reason, the E string just sounded different in some way compared to the others. I did a little digging around Talkbass and turns out that according to some people on here, that can sometimes just be the "charm" with the single coil pickups. I adjusted the height of the pickup to make it a little higher on one side vs the other to get it as close as possible to sounding even and called it good. Then I never thought about it again until I listened to your sound clip. But hey, it could be something else. It's hard to really tell from the clip. Put those Chromes on there and rock out! :bassist:

MakoMan and Tedthebed like this.
  6. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you have good bass output the pickup is probably fine. Mine sounded like a guitar. I'm guessing a set of Chromes will fix it right up. BTW on mine I have Chromes in short scale and they fit quite nicely even with the string thru. Your experience may vary.

Tedthebed likes this.
  7. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    All this talk of Chromes reminded me that I have a brand new set of Mediums that I bought for my Vista but never put on because I ended up liking TIs so much. Just listed them if anyone wants.

mattbass6945 and MakoMan like this.
  8. Tedthebed

Tedthebed

Jan 28, 2019
    I'm sad to report the strings were not the issue. Just strung it up with Chromes and I'm still hearing it. It's a bit more obvious, if anything, what with the brighter strings. I think I'm hearing a hint of the same issue on the A string as well, which I kind of thought I heard when it was the TIs, but now a bit moreso. The D and the G sound totally normal. On the 'bright' side (sorry), I do actually prefer the bite of the chromes, so not a waste of time. And now I've got a theoretically good set of TIs as backups.

I wasn't really able to see any cracking in the nut, but I think that's my next thing to check. However, I also think it's time to have it looked at by a real tech. Bite the bullet. I think it's worth it for this bass.

I made this recording. No distortion, finger style, high up on the neck. To me, it's really reminiscent of a detune pedal, like a luxe or something. Not so much a chorus (wavy pitch) as a second, quiet overtone that is off pitch. I hear a tiny bit on the A string and a lot on the E. It's just me going down the strings on the same frets. (I apologize, the recording is pretty quiet and you need to listen pretty loud to hear the problem. Requires headphones.)

<iframe src="" width="640" height="480"></iframe>

9. hankazoid

hankazoid

Feb 27, 2009
    Cambridge, MA.
    Hello everyone. Looking to put a set of flatwounds on my Vista Musicmaster and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I was looking to go with a set of LaBella Deep Talkin flats, but after calling them to find out which string length to get they don't make any that are suitable for a short scale sting-through body.

10. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    TI JF324s on mine and they sound great

11. halech54

halech54

Jul 15, 2015
    Richmond VA,
    They make a special size for Mustangs, these work!

Duder and CalBuzz51 like this.
  12. CalBuzz51

CalBuzz51

Mar 11, 2016
    Seattle
    The LaBella Mustang DTF’s should work.

Before putting flats on, try intonating the E string with existing strings. If the saddle ends up right over the “string through” hole, that creates a 90* angle which may be too much for flats. I have a different string through bass with this issue, so it got half-rounds instead.

13. I bought mine back in '04 or '05 for £185, here it is with a now departed MIJ Power Jazz Special, and a 60's Vox Clubman. I do like short scale, my other bass is a KAM solid bodied ukulele bass. The musicmaster is in excellent condition, probably something to do with my playing guitar 95% of the time, strings are still the same ones it came with when I bought it.

upload_2019-2-7_21-57-50.

upload_2019-2-7_21-59-21.

upload_2019-2-7_21-59-39.

14. Michael Sinclair

Michael Sinclair

Apr 24, 2014
    Scotland
    Has anyone ever put some La Bella Tapewounds one their Musicmaster? Specifically the White Nylon? Just wondering if the short scale ones will fit with the through body? Also, is the break angle at the bridge an issue for tapes?

15. CalBuzz51

CalBuzz51

Mar 11, 2016
    Seattle
  16. How long should it take to get a pickguard cut?

17. Kubicki Fan

Kubicki Fan

Oct 3, 2014
    Canada
    Does anyone know if any Vistas were made fretless?

18. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    They were not.

19. WI Short Scaler

WI Short Scaler Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Central WI
    I have the D'addario Black Beauties on my Vista Musicmaster, nice thump IMO and have held up well.
    44549773_2007242215996848_7518413150127915008_n.?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent.feau1-1.