1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier MusicMaster Vista Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MakoMan, Aug 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Fortunately I already have one :)

2. WI Short Scaler

WI Short Scaler Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Central WI
    I can "figure out" how to ship without the case, just put together a complete package. The price on those generally is higher than I'm asking. And a hard shell case is usually a minimum of $50 so even with a little higher shipping this is a good package deal.

You have your opinions on the pickguard, no worries, and I have mine on cases. I would never haul a bass with a gig bag so the case is the only option IMHO.

I'm fine with keeping it. It was a toss up between selling this and the Gretsch, I just don't feel the need to have 3 basses anymore.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  3. I had one with a dead pick-up once. Had it rewound and it sounded great. Virtually indistinguishable from the original.
    While I was waiting for the rewind I plopped an SD 1/4-pounder in there. It sounded great; not quite the same as the original but pretty close. And the difference wasn’t a bad thing. Just slightly different.

MakoMan, Zoobiedood and Martin-J like this.
  4. WI Short Scaler

Jun 13, 2018
    Central WI
    That is the kind of pickup I put in my '78 Fender MM model. Great tone now, much better than the original 6 pole that it had. At the same time it got a string through body bridge too.

5. halfwound121

halfwound121 Supporting Member

Sorry if I offended you. I think the bass is a good buy, and I mentioned it here because there are usually interested parties on this thread (trying to help.) I personally think the weight you mentioned for shipping might be prohibitive, so that was why I suggested selling without the case. Pickguards are always a subjective choice, and I tend more toward conservative patterns or plain. That's just me. For what you're asking, anyone who doesn't like it could replace it for $40-$50 at WD or PickGuardian. Honestly, GLWS!

Duder likes this.
  6. WI Short Scaler

Jun 13, 2018
    Central WI
    Caught me at a bad time, seemed snarky, no worries I was just reading too much into it. Happens with text style conversations from time to time

I guess I offset the shipping cost by pricing the bass reasonably. I'm giving it to the end of the week and if no interest I'm keeping it. I'll try selling the Gretsch instead.

If you hate that pick guard you would really hate the one that I had on it most of the time. Grumpy, painted by my son, kind of a family joke with my kids. Either way, rock on.
    [​IMG]

Duder and halfwound121 like this.
  7. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    I thought your Vista with the paint job and pickguard looked fantastic when I followed halfwound's link. Would have been interested were we in the same country :).
    But it looks like you've now sold it locally so the temptation has passed. However you have now got me thinking about painting mine that color. Where did you get that pickguard?

WI Short Scaler likes this.
  8. WI Short Scaler

Jun 13, 2018
    Central WI
    So I had the bass sold locally, or so I thought. I unpacked it and was ready for the 1st meetup, the buyer was a no show. We scheduled a 2nd meetup, apologies on his end, and no show again.

So I was playing it during this time and after the 2nd no show I just decided to keep it. I put the Grumpy pickguard back on and it's home with it's '78 Fender brethren!

Makoman, I got that black/gray pearl pickguard from a place Jeannie Custom Pickguards, I had a great experience with them but have seen others saying on here their results were less spectacular. Couldn't find their page either.

MakoMan and halfwound121 like this.
  9. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Great decision. Could be an omen.. I had the same thing happen with a bass 5 years ago and that bass has been my main player since then.
    I'd leave your bass just the way it is... it looks fabulous!

WI Short Scaler and halfwound121 like this.
  10. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Speaking of colors. I got my Vista MusicMaster back a couple of days ago. It had been on temporary loan to a friend who is learning bass and that temporary loan lasted a couple of years LOL! I have had visitations during that time of course :).
    But I loaned him a different bass a month ago and he decided he liked it more than the Vista so he brought the old warhorse back to me on Saturday. I've been playing it a fair bit over the past couple of days and it sounds great.
    For those who do not know, my Vista had the paint stripped off the body by a previous owner. Now that I have it back the question is do I keep it that way, paint it back to it's original black color, or do something funky :).

WI Short Scaler and halfwound121 like this.
  11. halfwound121

halfwound121 Supporting Member

WI's red is a great choice.

WI Short Scaler and MakoMan like this.
  12. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    You're reading my beads! :)

13. WI Short Scaler

Jun 13, 2018
    Central WI
    Glad you guys like the Candy Apple Red, it's a great color!

But whether you choose it or not I'd vote for any color other than brown-sunburst or black! Those colors are too common and kind of drab, IMO of course.

Don't forget to show us what you come up with. :thumbsup:

14. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    The truth of the matter is I'm lazy so it will most likely remain natural LOL! But I will give it some thought!

15. WI Short Scaler

Jun 13, 2018
    Central WI
    I sent mine away to get painted, no patience or talent to do it myself. Guitar Paint Guys, great work but they are NOT good at giving you status when they have your bass body of a month longer than planned.

16. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a friend who could do an amazing job. I may ask him to do it. But I just got it back so I think I am going to enjoy it for a while.

17. I’ve been rediscovering my Vistas of late also. I haven’t been playing much and when I do I’ve been breaking out my Pbass and Jaguar. I decided to pull them off the wall and give them a go again. Man, I forgot how good they are. Part of the reason for trying them all again is I’m pondering my life choices (and preferences) in what I want in a bass. I love my Jag and thought I wanted that skinny neck on everything. But in playing my P more often I think I’m actually a bit more comfortable on the wider neck. One of the things I love about the Vistas is their P-width neck.

While this is a great discovery for me, it also kind of ruins some of the plans I had (and by ruins I mean will save me money by preventing me from undertaking an expensive refinish project on a bass I prob won’t play as much).

Your talk about refinishing your Vista has me thinking now about getting another and doing the same, though it’s more likely my next bass will be another P. So many ideas, so little time.

BTW, I love CAR. It’s tied with LPB as my favorite finish. Gotta spring for the matching headstock, though.

MakoMan, Duder and WI Short Scaler like this.
  18. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Seconded

MakoMan likes this.
  19. OK2Fret

OK2Fret

Mar 21, 2019
    New here and I’m so glad I stumbled across this forum, guys. Here is my story:

A couple of months ago, a friend rang me up and said he was downsizing and selling off some of his gear. Most of it was going on consignment to a local music store but he asked me if I’d be interested in buying the bass he’d bought for his son years ago. I remembered seeing it laying around once at his house. I said, “You mean that surf green thing?” “Yes, it’s a Chinese made Squire MusicMaster,” he replied. I thought for a moment. “It’s a short scale, isn’t it? How much do you want for it?” I was really more interested in helping the guy out than acquiring another bass, although I knew I’d be getting a short scale bass at some point, mainly for home recording. My own bass is an early 2000’s Dean Razor and although it sounds and plays like buttah, it’s very much a long-necked goose in my short arms, LOL.

He said, “$50.” I thought, what the heck, “Sure, I’ll give you $50 for it.” I went over the next day and picked it up. Needless to say, after reading through this forum, I obviously landed a real bargain!

It came with round wound strings which I hate. But instead of regular flats I decided to go with tape wounds, which I’d always wanted to try. D’Addario 105-50. The strings cost almost as much as I paid for the MM!!

I also had some JBass covers in a drawer so I dressed 'er up and took her portrait, all decked out in her Sunday chrome. Unfortunately, my iPhone did not capture the color accurately. It looks here more Daphne Blue than Surf Green.

1Squire MM. Great forum! Hope I can join in. Thanks, MakoMan!

Bourbongangster, Duder and GotRoot? like this.
  20. Quite a steal! You probably already know this from reading the forum but the official color is Sonic Blue (though they all seem to age to that surf green color). Congrats!