Squier neck comparison CV 50's P vs 70's P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by edencab, Aug 9, 2018.

1. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    hi ....I am wondering if these two necks are the same in terms of feel....I understand they are both C shaped, 34", 9.5" radius and a 1.65" nut. ...seems like they are the the same
    I am interested in buying the 50" P but nothing local in stock.... at my local big box store there is a 70's P....I'm going to try it out shortly to see if I like it... wondering if the the finishes are the same, both look to be glossy

2. I'm no Squier expert. But, a 50's P should have a 1.75" nut. I think.

3. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    various web sites tell me both are 1.65"...otherwise I don't know.....Fender/Squier web site has no info

4. Then maybe the only difference is asthetics?

5. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    I'm thinking....hoping to find out

....not sure about the White Blonde colour though....sort of holding me back

6. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    I have both. The CV 50's has a very soft C shape from top of the fingerboard to the back of the neck. It is kind of 60's Jazz Bass thin. The CV 70's is more of a modern C shape and is a bit thicker. I find the shape of the CV 50's a bit more comfortable but the CV 70's still feels good in the hands.

They both have 1.65 " at the nut.

I love the White Blonde paint job. In real life, you can see streaks of the wood grain through the paint.

For the record, the pickups on the CV 70's are great. No need to swap them out for aftermarket pickups.

As for the CV 50's pickups, they are a bit noisy and I had balance issues string-to-string. I ended up swapping them out for a set of Lindy Fralin's Split '51 P-Bass - Lindy Fralin Pickups.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    edencab likes this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    '50'S CV P bass all the way. The Blonde is still available new, the LPB is discontinued...and some people are asking as much as $100 over the store price. Good thing about the blonde is, you might find one with a nice grain.
    Played one last year at Russo's Asbury Park...one of the nicest basses in the store.
    I bet it's still there.
    I think it's one of thf best-sounding basses in this shootout.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    edencab likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021