1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier opinions..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by haxality, Mar 27, 2006.

1. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    I'm sure this has come up a billion and a half times, but I'm just wondering what some of my fellow TBers think about Squier basses. I, for one, was impressed by the build quality of my ~200 dollar Precision Special. About my only complaint is humming from the J pickup, but honestly, it cost 220 bucks! Anyways, other opinions welcome! I want to see what you guys think too!

2. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    well the the few squire basses i've played(and my affin. strat.) have all seemed to be made vey well for the price. the sound isn't always awesome, but not bad, but always good enough for the price. with a good setup, i think most squires would be looked upon better.

3. phillys

phillys

Feb 4, 2006
    Malaysia
    I think Squiers aren't worth the money, to be honest. I have played a Squier Jazz Bass before and I also own a low-end Ibanez GSR205. The Squier is a LOT heavier than my Ibanez and the headstock is a little too big and cause the bass to look.... weird.

4. txpitdog

txpitdog

Jan 1, 2006
    My Squier ABG was pretty much no frills and tough to play due to the extremely high action. After deciding that I wanted to keep playing (but didn't have enough for a new bass) I spent a little cash and had the action lowered. That caused the frets to buzz. So a little later I spent more money and had the frets leveled. The shop I took it to liked playing it so much, they tweeked the pickup and lowered the action a little more (free).

What I have now is a mean !#$%#$ of a bass. The beast has as much growl as my Warwick, and when I plug it in, it sounds like its going to hurt someone! I've spent more on it than its worth, and I'll never get my money back should I ever foolishly sell it one day....but is it worth it? Hell yes.

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Check out the SX basses. WAY better quality fit and finish than the Squires. Not even in the same ball park and about half the money. I gig with an SX P bass copy, and my Fender '64 P stays home. I've let lots of people try mine out, and they don't belive me when I tell them that it was $125 delivered. That single coil J pickup is going to hum even if it was a $1200 American bass. Passive Single coils hum. The P pickup doesn't hum because its a hum canceling pickup. The 80's Squires that were made in Japan were pretty good. I thought the Squires were O.K. for the price, until I played an SX. Just my 2 cents.

6. I think Squiers are pretty good for a first bass. Bad thing is that you'll be wanting a better bass, but who dosn't.

7. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    I appreciate the knowledge, savit, but I was already well aware of the reason for the J buzz. :) Interesting to hear such praise for the SX. Regardless, my current GAS is for an Epiphone Thunderbird, but at some point I'll try to pick up an SX. Also, my brand new P/J came more or less perfectly set up from the factory, with zero fret buzz. Compared to my other bass, a Squier Affinity, it's worlds away. Try out a Squier Standard before you speak too lowly of the setup. Anyways, ramble over :p

8. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    great for the first bass, or something to keep un cased in the trunk of a car for when the old wife is shopping.

But dude the hello kitty badtz maru bass is sweet, got get me one o' dem

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Factory set up on ANY bass, regardless of price, is more than likley going to need to be ajusted to each players preferance. I don't think I've ever bought a bass or guitar with a decent factory set up on it. Couldn't even begin to tell you how many I've owned over the years. Lost count years ago :) Honestly, I've tried P's at every price point in the Fender/Squire line. I was playing a Sandard Squire and a new American P while amp shopping on Sat. None of them impressed me. The Squire P bass special is also made of Agathis. Not a great tonewood, esp. compaired to Alder.
    The Eppi T bird.... Now those are pretty cool IMHO. No one makes anything like that in that price range. The thing with the Squires is that you can get a better P for less money. Personally I wouldn't trust any of the new Squires to stand up to the gigging that my basses go through. I do however trust the SX, and gig with it all the time. It's a great bass at a rediculous price. I don't want to start a war here, but you did ask for opinions. I'v always liked the 80's MIJ Squires. Strong reliable, and a nice price at the time. Try one of those out and you'll see what I mean. If they still made 'em like that I'd be a much bigger fan.

10. the factory set up on my marcus miller jazz bass was to my liking, but to stay on topic, squiers are alright. I learned on a squire p-bass and it was pretty good for something to learn on but you will DEFINITELY want to upgrade once you get better. When i showed my mom my brand new marcus miller jazz bass and the price tag she couldn't belive how i'd "wasted my money"...until i played it, that shut her up well enough.

11. wc123

wc123

Nov 17, 2005
    Buckhorn CA.
  12. kidgloves2

kidgloves2

Mar 27, 2006

I never heard of SX. I can't find where to order them, where did you get yours?

Do they make a fretless?

13. I figure there are two types of buyers, cherry pickers and mail order/online shoppers.

If you are someone who lives in a big city with plenty of music and pawn shops, Squiers are great. If you know about basses or have a friend who knows their stuff, in a city like mine you could probably easly try out many dozens of used and new Squiers in a single afternoon and take your pick of the best. Many will not be good but you are just looking for that one really good one. I bought mine used for under $100 off the shop wall. Squiers are all over the place and sometimes you can luck into a cheap one that is great. While you are out shopping you may also stumble onto something totally unexpected that could end up being just what you want.

For those inclined to mail order, SX seems the way to go. Five billion TBers can't be wrong ;) I will probably try one out at some point, especially since people report that if you get a clunker they will take it back.

Peace,
    S

14. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    wc123 put the link up for you. Rondo music is where you can get the SX's from. Great people, and they ship quickly. I had mine in 2 days. If you order one, spend another $25 bucks and have a local tech set it up for you. Tell him how you like the action set, and they'll set the action and intonation etc. Or read up on line and learn how to do a killer set up yourself, if you don't know how to do it already. If you really want to kick some tail with the SX, you can add a hight quality pickup at a later date too. The stock one is pretty good though. I'd say better than the stock Squire P/U for sure. I guess one of the reasons I like the SX so much is that the necks feel fantastic. More like the Vintage P's I grew up playing than the new Fender/Squire stuff. They use laquer on the neck instead of that cheap satin finish that Fender has been using for the last 19 years. To me the Squire necks feel like something out of a High School shop class by comparison. Rondo also has a great return policy if you don't like it for some reason.

Here's a pic of mine with her big sister. I added the pickguard.

th_107687382_l.

15. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I'm pretty sure they make a fretless J bass. Didn't see it on their page though. GIve Rondomusic a call or email. I'm pretty sure they do have a fretless model

16. wc123

wc123

Nov 17, 2005
    Buckhorn CA.
    Wife just ordered this SX SJB-62CT Fretless http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb62ctfretless.html for me because I have been a good boy And I all ready have this SX SPJ-62 in Vintage White (http://www.rondomusic.net/spj62.html)

I am doing some upgrades to the SPJ-62 and will report how they come out on the tb SX page.

You will not be sorry for the price you pay for this bass.

17. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I also like my Squier P-Bass Special a lot, it looks great, plays well and sounds good to my ears. I'm also thinking of replacing the J pickup with a hum cancelling one.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    A $1500 Fender Jazz USA hums from the single coil pickups. That's not even a complaint. The Squiers I've held have been pretty even and good quality. Some downright nice at any price (like the protone and 5 string Precision). You can very easily do a lot worse with your money than Squier. I've played a lot of SX basses from Rondo and they can be nice, but IMO Squiers on the whole are better. Individual models of course can vary.

19. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea.. I wouldn't get a squier... I'd get the SX.

20. kidgloves2

kidgloves2

Mar 27, 2006

Rondo only charges $25 for a setup? Are you sure?

I wonder if they will put heavier strings and set it up nice. I want to tune down 2 whole steps to C-f-Bb-Eb and I don't know how to set action or intonation. They will probably charge more for it, heavier strings alone should be $25 - $30.

How is the fretwork on the SX basses? and How stiff are the necks?