1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier or hold out for Fender (or Sterling MM)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SPAZ5446, Sep 21, 2010.

1. SPAZ5446

SPAZ5446

Aug 25, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Played my friend's Squier Affinty P-bass and love the tone of it, and my current bass can't even compare so I'm thinking about buying it. However I can't decide if I should buy a Squier soon, or wait for awhile and buy a real Fender. OR should I hold out even longer to buy a Sterling Ray 34. Also I'm only 15 and still trying to find a job, so money is an issue at the moment.

Bottom line, buy a Squier P-bass and be able to play with the tone I like right away, wait to get a real Fender and get a higher quality P-bass, or wait even longer to get a Sterling Ray 34 (Which to me has the same thump as the P-bass, but with more tone controls).

2. How long before you can afford the more expensive ones? That's the El Primo question here.

I'd not wait to buy a bass if I wanted to play NOW and the bass I COULD afford NOW was a good player.

Take your best shot - but really the time you spend with a bass strapped to your chest is golden and every minute counts - at least for me.

Besides ---- at 15, you aren't gonna find much work right now anyway that can help you afford an expensive bass. There are too many much more highly qualified and experienced people out of work who are trying to buy food to feed their families --- and they can't find work.

3. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Go for a Squier and play like hell during your teenage years and if you're still playing by 20, try a Fender? Whatever you can afford i guess

4. pandaman37

pandaman37 Inactive

Sep 17, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    yeah hate to be a debbie downer, but im 17, very much in the same boat. jobs dont exist unless you know someone, and even then its difficult... if i were you id save up for a MIM fender, eventually get a ray. dont get me wrong, squiers are great, but theres really no comparison IMO.. i might be a little biased cos my squier jazz was a ****ing mess but meh. i played my friends MIM p bass, it pretty much blew my mind.
    so yeah, id recommend saving for a MIM, its difficult waiting, i know, but really itll save you a lot of pain. besides, i can scarcely imagine looking at the headstock and seeing fender instead of squier.... sigh.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    If you still have the RBX170, I suggest playing that while you continue to save up for the Fender or Sterling. The quality is better in both of those than that of the Squier. Especially when it comes to the overall quality of the body/neck wood.

6. drewfunk

drewfunk

May 10, 2010
    Olympia, Wa
    Squier VM or CV:bassist:

7. baron665

baron665

Apr 9, 2010
    Michigan
    I agree with soong, buy the Squire now, and a few years down the road, get a higher quality bass. Who knows, maybe in a few years you might want something else, like a Warwick, Rickenbacker, or some other higher end bass. Also, you just might want to do some upgrades on the Squire. plus, buying the Squire will leave you more money for a better amp. Fender rumbles are pretty sweet for the money though, but you might want to get a bigger amp in the near future.

8. sorry for my ignorance, but often it is beacuse i live in australia and music prices are way outta whack! but in what world is a sterling ray 34 more expencive than a p-bass, they are about the same price dude!

9. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I own both a Fender P and a Ray 34. The Ray 34 sounds nothing like a Pbass IMO. I have been trying for the two months I've owned the Ray to EQ it as much as I can to get it to sound like a P, and while I've gotten close, the Ray is still a different animal.

I'm actually pondering selling off the Ray. It is a fine instrument, it's built solidly, has great action and plays wonderfully, etc, but I just came to the realization I'm a passive, P-bass kind of guy.

10. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT

Well Here's my opinion, which I'm sure you've been waiting for...

You played your friend's Squier Affinty P-bass.
    Which isnt horrible for the price. HOWEVER..
    you should try one of these:

Vintage Modified: $279
    http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326802520

Classic Vibe: $349
    http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0303070540

I think the quality/tone/feel of these squiers is quite remarkable...and yes, even compared to a MIM... maybe even some AM fenders :bag: according to some people here on TB

Check musicians friend..I just posted links from squiers site..those are the two colors I liked ;)

Just do a search on the squier basses here and you'll get all kinds of info..good/bad indifferent.
    In fact after reading squier threads, I want to go buy one.

11. SantiagoGT15

SantiagoGT15

Jun 22, 2010
    Praise & Worship Group Leader/Director
    MY best advice would be wait fot the RAY 34 (35) they are awesome basses , really really nice ,I would choose it over many basses at the same price tag .... but also the deluxe P from fender is a nice one , at the same price point ...well just my $.02

12. Govier966

Govier966

Apr 28, 2009
    New York
    maybe a used mim, i got one about 4 years ago for 300.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021