1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier or LTD which is better

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fs Nosegrind, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Fs Nosegrind

Fs Nosegrind

Oct 25, 2018
    Hello, I'm buying a new bass and my choices are these either a
    LTD Vintage-214 ROSEWOOD
    or a
    Squier P Bass Affinity Series
    I'm ordering online because I have no local stores that carry any of these basses, so I won't be able to hold them, play them for comparison so I need help from experts on this. I play in a hardcore punk band.
    Also is there a big of a difference between between
    Squier P Bass Affinity Series and
    Squier P/J Bass Affinity Series
    Which one of them is better?

Any help would be highly appreciated on which would be better
    thank you.

2. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Both of those basses seem very similar in appearance. Since I've never played the LTD, I would have to vote for the Squier. While a P/J is nice to have for more tonal options, I played in a punk band for years and loved using a P. What do some of your favorite bassists use? What bass are you using now? And what don't you like about it?

3. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I own an older Ltd and it’s an absolute gem. Build, finish, sound, weight, it has it all. If this is anything close in quality, I’d say the Ltd.

BassAndReeds likes this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    The Squier Affinity PJ can be a very nice bass, but I’ve played several that had problems, bowed neck, sharp fret edges, and two that simply had no character. I did play two that were surprisingly good, though, as good as the VM Squiers, l which are definitely a better bet when buying without trying. Have you c!nsidered them?

As for the LTD, I wouldn’t buy one, but that’s just me.

5. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Never played and LTD. I got guilted into buying an Affinity P and was honestly surprised at how not awful it is.

Ggeorges likes this.
  6. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    I played both fretted and fretless LTD 214's last weekend. The fretted bass was on par with the higher line Squier but it didn't pop for me. On the other hand the fretless ticked all of my boxes for feel, sound, and just felt special.

gebass6 likes this.
  7. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    I’ve played several LTDs in stores. And own a fretless LTD B204. They are severely undervalued in my opinion. (Im starting to think the fender bias is real). Great quality control and build quality on all I’ve played.

If you’re concerned about build quality and quality control, I’d choose the LTD. Every LTD I’ve played has a perfect neck and is setup well from the start. Fenders have quality control issues.

If you want a vintage sound, I’d go Fender. It’s got that sound nailed.

If you want a more modern sound, I’d go LTD. (Personally, that’s me. And I think that 214 sounds wonderful and has lots of different tonal options)

If you play around a lot of musical snobs that “know everything”, I’d get a Fender to shut them up. Too many people listen with their eyes, unfortunately that includes “musicians”.

If you’re worried about resale for the future, I’d get a Fender. The name sells.

Overall, I haven’t played any of your bass choices, and any one would be a good choice. But if I were to choose one personally, it’d be the LTD 214 for me.

gebass6 and TrustRod like this.
  8. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I have never touched an LTD. I had a Squier Affinity p bass, it was absolutely fine. If I had kept it, I probably would have swapped out pickups, but that is just personal taste.

Tvrtko likes this.
  9. Fs Nosegrind

Fs Nosegrind

Oct 25, 2018
    Thank you so much for responding everyone I really appreciate it :)
    I'll get the LTD Vintage-214 ROSEWOOD

Like Bodeanly said they're very similar in appearance, so now I'm just choosing by quality.

My current bass is some extremely cheap beginner Cort that I bought used a few years back and it's falling apart so at this point either one of the guitars I'm contemplating buying will be a huge upgrade for me. I never notice what bass guitar my favorite bassists use I guess DeeDee Ramone from the Ramones he uses Fender but definitely so much better quality than a Squier Affinity. Tom Araya from Slayer uses ESP.

It seems those who tried either one of them say it's good, so I think it's safe to say both are good. The LTD is a little bit pricier than the Squier, but I think I'll go with it.Because I read about how it's a gamble ordering Sqiuer Affinity online, cause as jd56hawk said could have a bowed neck or some defect like that, and I'm ordering online so I can't see it before getting it, so to stay on the same side I'll go with the LTD.

Reassuring me that LTD build quality is better are JGbassman & BassAndReeds' comments also UNICORN BASS says The fretted bass was on par with the higher line Squier this means it's definitely better than the Affinity which I read that it's the lower line of Squier.

Thick McRunfast & Bass Man Dan thank you for replying. I'll go with the LTD because at this point I'm convinced that it's better build quality and the bass I'm buying now will hopefully last me a few years to come I'm not looking forward to upgrade soon, so I want something that will last.

Thank you again for replying this was very helpful :)

10. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    LTD is by far the winner of the two, in my book.

scuzzy and HawldieMPB like this.
  11. If it was a Vintage Modified Squier I'd go with that but I'm pretty confident the LTD will be the better bet over an Affinity. Add to that the fact that, as i have recently found, ESP customer service is excellent. Also, that black on black with rosewood LTD is just so cool...... but I'm not biased at all.....:)

Bass Web.

12. I think you are definitely making the right choice

scuzzy likes this.
  13. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Owned both, not even close. The LTD is much more in line with the Mexican fenders than the Squier, especially the affinity series. LTD is the better bass hands down.

DeliriumTremens likes this.
  14. Bass Man Dan

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    This thread cost me $$. Went to look at the two basses mentioned, stumbled upon a precision vm 5. Dang it.

15. Having owned both...LTD much better bass for the money

DeliriumTremens likes this.
  16. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Did you buy the VM5? It's a nice bass. If you want a 5, it's a good choice. If you want a 4 still....

Between the LTD214 and the other 4 string squire's I'd take the 214 over the Squire affinity or VM series. It's a far better instrument than the Affinity and still a bit better than the VM series in general.

I played a 214 fretless for a while and it was definitely the superior instrument. Well made P-bass clones and it's a darn shame they aren't made any more since there is now no longer a major brand making an affordable unlined P-bass.

I reviewed my bass here:
    ESP/LTD Vintage 214 Fretless

17. Bass Man Dan

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I did buy the VM 5. I have just read so much good about them, I've got to try it out!

18. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    You made a fine choice.
    If looking for an affordable 5 string P I'd take the VM P5, even over the very good quality Ibanez TMB 305, though that probably has more to do with the look and nut spacing.

Even though LTD is -IMHO- a bit better overall, the Squire VM series is a very good quality and value. Truthfully, across the major brands, most of their "lower" end basses are shockingly good these days, especially when compared (adjusted for inflation) to what the equivalent amount of $ would have bought you in the 90's or early 00's. Ibanez, Yamaha, LTD, Squire, Peavey, etc. are all offering solid instruments at the beginner price point.

I will say one thing though, if you're again in the market for a $2-300 4 string bass with a "classic" design, take a look at the Ibanez TMB100. It's a shocking revelation to see what $200 will you in a new instrument today.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  19. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    I suspect you made the right call. :thumbsup: