Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier P-Bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GDAE, Nov 1, 2002.

1. GDAE

GDAE

Aug 14, 2001
    Iowa
    OK, I have a Squier P-Bass Special that's about 2 years old and I'm going to replace the pickups in the next couple of weeks. I'm considering two different setups and I'd like to know which one is better.

1. A Seymour Duncan SPB-3 1/4 pounder for the P and a Seymour Duncan Vintage Jazz pickup for the J.

or

2. A Fender original 62 P-Bass pickup for the P and a Fender Vintage J-Bass pickup for the J.

Cost isn't really a factor ($15 more for the Seymour Duncans). Basically all I want to know is which setup will give me the better sound.

2. I would go with the Fender '62 pickup w/ the Seymour Duncan. The Fender is very sweet sounding, and brings out that vintage-ness. The only reason I wouldn't go with the Quarter Pounder is because it has that mid-scoop EQ. But in any case, you really couldn't go wrong.

3. well, if i was being a smartass i'd say the '62 would sound better, but really they're just different, and it depends on what you like. play a bass with quarter pounders and one with a regular P pickup - probably a Hoppus bass and an american P bass would be the best approximation if you are just looking around GC.

4. GDAE

GDAE

Aug 14, 2001
    Iowa
    OK, thanks for the help. I don't have anywhere to go within three hours of my house where I could play either of the basses you mentioned, but I think based on what you said I'm gonna go with the Seymour Duncans. Hoppus plays music fairly similar to what my band plays so I think that tone would work well for me.