1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier P-Bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GDAE, Nov 1, 2002.

1. GDAE

GDAE

Aug 14, 2001
    Iowa
    OK, I have a Squier P-Bass Special that's about 2 years old and I'm going to replace the pickups in the next couple of weeks. I'm considering two different setups and I'd like to know which one is better.

1. A Seymour Duncan SPB-3 1/4 pounder for the P and a Seymour Duncan Vintage Jazz pickup for the J.

or

2. A Fender original 62 P-Bass pickup for the P and a Fender Vintage J-Bass pickup for the J.

Cost isn't really a factor ($15 more for the Seymour Duncans). Basically all I want to know is which setup will give me the better sound.

2. I would go with the Fender '62 pickup w/ the Seymour Duncan. The Fender is very sweet sounding, and brings out that vintage-ness. The only reason I wouldn't go with the Quarter Pounder is because it has that mid-scoop EQ. But in any case, you really couldn't go wrong.

3. well, if i was being a smartass i'd say the '62 would sound better, but really they're just different, and it depends on what you like. play a bass with quarter pounders and one with a regular P pickup - probably a Hoppus bass and an american P bass would be the best approximation if you are just looking around GC.

4. GDAE

GDAE

Aug 14, 2001
    Iowa
    OK, thanks for the help. I don't have anywhere to go within three hours of my house where I could play either of the basses you mentioned, but I think based on what you said I'm gonna go with the Seymour Duncans. Hoppus plays music fairly similar to what my band plays so I think that tone would work well for me.