Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Squier P-Bass pup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rockin John, Feb 2, 2001.

1. I guess the question is: "Are these pups any good?"

I know you only get what you pay for but I've had it suggested that the Squier pups are really only kind-of Fender rejects. Whilst others reckon they're no different to those fitted to the MIM P.

Any clues please?

Rockin John

2. Euclides

Euclides

Sep 13, 2000
    They are very noisy.
    I bought a replacement for mine.

3. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    ive got a squier p bass which im satisfied with, keep in mind you do get what you paid for, i bought mine for i think 179, so i didnt expect anything spectacular. i think for the money its a good deal.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    they are not good pick ups at all, that is why they are in the squire's. they are very noisey. Id order a p/u from one of the american made p bass if you want a replacement one, or perhaps an emg.

5. Terrible! I bought a Squire Affinity P for my daughter to learn on. The bass was too big for her so I kept it, pulled the frets off, and got rid of those noisy pickups it came with, in favor of DiMarzio P's and an added jazz bridge pup. Big difference.

6. I have a Fernandez P-bass copy and I just bought a pair of EMG active P pickups to replace my old ones, and they sound a lot better. If you are going to get a pair of replacement pups than I would definately recommend buying these.

7. Good morning all.

And thanks for the replies.

The concensus is clearly that they're noisy. What kind of noise: hissing, crackles, microphonic?

Thanks

Rockin John

8. Plenty of crackles and buzzing for all.