Squier P-Bass pup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rockin John, Feb 2, 2001.

1. I guess the question is: "Are these pups any good?"

I know you only get what you pay for but I've had it suggested that the Squier pups are really only kind-of Fender rejects. Whilst others reckon they're no different to those fitted to the MIM P.

Any clues please?

Rockin John
  2. Euclides

Sep 13, 2000
    They are very noisy.
    I bought a replacement for mine.
  3. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    ive got a squier p bass which im satisfied with, keep in mind you do get what you paid for, i bought mine for i think 179, so i didnt expect anything spectacular. i think for the money its a good deal.
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    they are not good pick ups at all, that is why they are in the squire's. they are very noisey. Id order a p/u from one of the american made p bass if you want a replacement one, or perhaps an emg.
  5. Terrible! I bought a Squire Affinity P for my daughter to learn on. The bass was too big for her so I kept it, pulled the frets off, and got rid of those noisy pickups it came with, in favor of DiMarzio P's and an added jazz bridge pup. Big difference.
  6. I have a Fernandez P-bass copy and I just bought a pair of EMG active P pickups to replace my old ones, and they sound a lot better. If you are going to get a pair of replacement pups than I would definately recommend buying these.
  7. Good morning all.

And thanks for the replies.

The concensus is clearly that they're noisy. What kind of noise: hissing, crackles, microphonic?

Rockin John
  8. Plenty of crackles and buzzing for all.