1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier P-Bass special...Noisless?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CoffeeBass, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Hey TB,

My wife's boss heard that I play Bass and brought up that he had a bass lying around his house that I could mess with if I wanted. I just picked it up and its a Pbass special (P/J) made in Indonesia. I was expecting some hum from the SC J, but there is none! Not even a little bit. Is this normal? Do I just have a "quiet" house for eletrical interference/noise? All else considered this sounds pretty good. The action is high and there is a bit of a forward bend in the neck that I am going to try to adjust out. The strings are way cheapo but it still sounds pretty good. I might see if the guy will sell it to me on the cheap and have a project bass.

Has anyone else used these and found them loud or quieter than you were expecting?

CB

2. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    It could be a dual or split coil pickup in a single coil housing, which a lot of cheaper P/J basses tend to have. Or you could just be very far away from any electronic noise.

3. Maybe it simply got a good shielding

4. Maybe it has Dimarzio noiseless pups and you just didn't notice :ninja:

lol :p

5. Yeah, could be sheilding. I doubt that the electricity in my house is going to be quiet. I live in an old cabin that was wired...shall we say, unproffesionally...I doubt that there would be a dual or split single J in a squier but I have been fooled before.

I don't know but I am digging on having a passive bass again.

CB

6. try play it in a difference environment
    OR
    Check for shielding :D

7. check for pickguard gnomes :D