1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Squier P-Bass Special, Question About Nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dtripoli, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Saw this bass on craigslist for over a week and thought I'd take a look.
    Questions:
    *Unlike the usual 'Made in Indonesia' Squiers, this one has the serial number on the neckplate and 'Made in China' below.
    Serial number: YN757322 This would be a 1997?

*Is it common to have these tuners? Compared to the Cort Squiers, These turners are flat on top rather than domed where the string go and the stems on the lollipop are longer.

*Most interesting is the nut. Combination brass/plastic...never seen that.
    Is this a one off or an after market repair? Replace the wacky thing?

*Common to have no skunk stripe on the back of the neck?

Gonna take some cleaning up, rewiring, new tone pot and bridge parts to make it respectable.

The Bass
    20170723_140059. Nut 1_Fotor. Body.

Headstock Front. Tuner placement starts with 'E' 1/2" closer to the nut than my other Squiers
    Headstock Frt.
    Cort Squier P-Bass on left, P-Bass Special on right. Bigger tuners
    Headstocks.

Unusual Nut with the thinnest G string I have ever seen
    Nut 1_Fotor.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

That nut is not stock and it's a mess. Looks like they used brass plate to shim it after cutting the slots too low. Get a new one in there.

dtripoli and RSBBass like this.
  3. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I second what 96tbird says. Its not stock, it is one of the worst nuts I have seen. Get a new one.

4. I will replace soon. I'm only into the bass for $75 so I'm OK with doing the repairs.

RSBBass likes this.
  5. I'm hoping I can pick up a new nut already cut and install.
    I don't have the tools or the know-how to file and notch a new one.
    The P-bass Special uses the same nut as a Jazz neck. StewMac has pre-cut Jazz neck, TUSQ XL nuts for around $12.
    It's the removal of the old one that makes me a little nervous after reading horror stories here on TalkBass about
    damaging fretboards and necks from trying to pry out an old nut.

6. 96tbird

Don't pry it. Tap it back and forth with a small hammer in the direction the strings run. Or a block of wood. It should pop free. You'll have to clean the old glue out of the slot. Hopefully they didn't make the slot bigger to fit that monstrous brass in there. If they did, you'll likely have to shim it with veneer to get the placement of the nut right or your intonation will be off.

Yeah. That's a real piece of frightful work right there.

dtripoli likes this.
  7. Doh!
    Right after I posted that, I pulled the strings and barely touched the nut and it fell out in my hand.
    Horror story averted.
    Now, do I clean out the slot and then glue the new nut in and call it a day?

20170724_190920_Fotor. 20170724_190935_Fotor. 20170724_191055_Fotor.

8. doodahwarrior

doodahwarrior Banned

Dec 16, 2015
    Well, that would be an improvement - but the new nut isn't just a "plug in and play" kind of deal. You'll need a whole new setup by a competent luthier for best performance. I'm talking playability, intonation, and tone. It's worth it.

Man, that thing must have played like crap with that monstrous abomination of a nut on there.

9. Yeah, but it was a good kinda crap. It's the second best $75 bass I ever played...lol.
    Thanks to Squier, I've slowly learned to work on basses and use them to make all my mistakes.
    It's also how I learned to work on cars, I bought a POS Chevy Vega in the 70's
    At the time, the only car on the road it was better than was a Ford Pinto.

Vega. Pinto.

10. 96tbird

The bottom of the slot looks all chewed up. You'll want to file it smooth so the new nut sits in there tight. You'll also have to measure the scale length and make sure the nut is placed properly (front or rear of the slot) because it really looks like they widened the slot.

The new nut slotted or not will need to be filed to the correct string heights or it will not play easily at the first couple frets.

dtripoli likes this.
  11. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Unless you are lucky you will have to do some adjusting to the nut. If it is a flat bottom you can shim it to raise it or sand the bottom to lower it. Hopefully the slot hasn't been enlarged. If it is you will have to shim it front to back to have it fit and be in the correct spot for intonation. Remember when you have it right, just a drop or two of super glue. You want the nut to stay in place but be easy to remove.

dtripoli likes this.
  12. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I agree. That nut is a disaster!